Saturday, July 18, 2009

Faith – I (Logically) Choose to Believe

A reading this morning was from St. Ambrose, an early bishop of the church. He explained what Catholics believe on faith, starting with an example of what the Jews believe on faith. He taught that it is reasonable to believe a matter on faith, if we have confidence in the one who tells us.

"If the words of Elijah had power even to bring down fire from heaven, will
not the words of Christ have power to change the natures of the elements? You
have read that in the creation of the whole world he spoke and they came to
be; he commanded and they were created.
If Christ could by speaking
create out of nothing what did not yet exist, can we say that his words are
unable to change existing things into something they previously were not?...
This is then in truth the sacrament of his flesh. The Lord Jesus himself
declares: This is my body."

The readings of today (from the Liturgy of the Hours) were constructed as a total teaching: the Old Testament reading about Elijah, the words of St. Ambrose, and the prayer for wisdom from the book of Wisdom. Together, they showed a basic foundation for faith (the Old Testament), a new building block of faith (Jesus Christ), and the words of Jesus – a new matter for faith. The words of Wisdom explained why it is reasonable to put faith in the words of Jesus – because of the foundation exists for our belief in him, so why wouldn’t we believe his words – including the difficult to believe ones: “This is my body”. Even among many Catholics today, these are hard words to believe; perhaps because they don’t have a fundamental belief in the words of Jesus, or the Old Testament.

I guess in modern times, for those without the foundational belief of the Jews in the Old Testament, a new foundation for the very concept of belief in God is necessary. For many people it is difficult to believe in anything they can’t see or have scientifically explained to them. Like Thomas, they have to see and touch before they can believe. (An aside: I just looked up at the birds in the feeder on the window. The seed is almost all gone, and there are 4 birds in the feeder pecking at the remains at the bottom, and 2 birds sitting on top. One looked into the house and seemed to stare at me: “Well, when will you give us more seed?” But of course that’s silly. A bird would have no reason to stare at me, nor expect that I can provide him more seed – but something in his nature KNOWS that the seed comes from somewhere, and it can pretty reliably be counted to be there in that feeder, so much so that he appears confused when it is not. Hmmm.)

My physics degree gives me an understanding about the many theories underlying the relationship of matter to matter – how the universe works, the big and the tiny. But the science of things falls apart when you talk about a place with no matter. Physics breaks down when it tries to explain something happening where there is no matter because physics always talks about SOME THING. Metaphysics explains things beyond matter. For some people, like Thomas, that JUST CAN’T BE. I think, however, if Thomas were true to himself he would admit that there are some things that “seem” like they should be possible, even if he can’t see or touch them. Thomas saw the miracles of Jesus and heard his great Wisdom. The physicist sees the workings of nature and can “hear” that something may, likely may, lie beyond. The limitation of their belief IS a belief: that man is the highest being possible, and if he can’t “see” or “touch” something, it JUST CAN’T BE.

I wonder what the bird looking in at me “thinks” about that?

As for me, I can accept that there are things that I don’t know, and that NO man knows. The concept of God is within me, and I can believe in him even if I don’t understand all the reasons why. In my very being, it “seems” right. The building blocks of my religion start with that faith in something I can’t see or understand, but can perceive in my being. From there the written history of God’s revelation and interactions with man, with matter, passes my test of reason, and I can believe it on faith even as I can believe anything else in history.

God of my fathers, Lord of mercy,
you who have made all things by your word
to rule the creatures produced by you,
to govern the world in holiness and justice,
and to render judgment in integrity of heart:
Give me Wisdom, the attendant at your throne,
and reject me not from among your children;
for I am your servant, the son of your handmaid,
a man weak and short-lived
and lacking in comprehension of judgment and of laws.
Indeed, though one be perfect among the sons of men,
if Wisdom, who comes from you, be not with him,
he shall be held in no esteem.
Now with you is Wisdom, who knows your works
and was present when you made the world;
who understands what is pleasing in your eyes
and what is conformable with your commands.
Send her forth from your holy heavens
and from your glorious throne dispatch her
that she may be with me and work with me,
that I may know what is your pleasure.
For she knows and understands all things,
and will guide me discreetly in my affairs
and safeguard me by her glory
.
Wisdom 9:1-6, 9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment