Thursday, July 9, 2009

Just Whose Sacrifice Is It?

I'd received communion and was quietly thanking God for the gifts He has given me: my life, my health, my friends, the time I could spend in His presence. And I realized what a gift that was. A gift.

When I think of Sunday church, usually I think in terms of MY giving -- of my time, my financial support, my commitment. But this morning I realized that I was looking at it wrongly. I'm just a small man, one of billions. In all of creation, what is my time, my money, or even my friendship worth? Just a grain of sand; it's all I am. When I go to church, in the presence of God, to receive Him in communion, MY giving is nothing. He's God! If He stoops to give to me: THAT is giving. When He gives me HIS time, it's not from one of billions, it's from one of one, the only ONE -- forever. That's the gift that occurs in church. My gift to Him is nothing; His gift to me is everything. When I say my favorite prayer "My Jesus, I Trust In You", it is a small thing. Each day in church, by His presence, He says: "I Trust In YOU" -- to me!! To me!! To little, me.

With so great a gift, freely given to me, how can I think it's some kind of sacrifice on my part to come and say: "Thank You"? How can I fail to acknowledge this great gift, His trust in me, by saying: "Lord, with Your help, I will try to do your will. I'll try to live up to Your expectations of me, Your love of me, and, yes, Your trust in me.

Thank You, Lord.

The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. PS 51:17

No comments:

Post a Comment