Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Slice of Heaven

Orig: 07/10/08

I Saw A Slice of Heaven Today
Your work-leisure hours are most likely a 180-degree flip from mine; you work weekdays and try to find time in evenings and weekends for leisure – the times when I “work”. Our differing types of work sometimes require our leisure time to turn into work time; rarely does work time turn into leisure. Stress sometimes seems to make work omni-present, overwhelming us and negating the leisure time we so very much need for ourselves – and our families and friends. We try to schedule leisure time, to ensure it happens – the dinner, the movie, the golf outing, the family vacation. And we look at these upcoming events on our calendars and worry that they might get “out-prioritized” by work. How sad for us, both because we can’t enjoy our work (it is a blessing) nor our leisure.

This morning I had some insight into a better way to “schedule” leisure time, to get the relaxation and relief we need. I saw a slice of heaven.

As so often happens, it was when I was reading my morning prayers and meditations that some of the words suddenly had a strong meaning for me – you remember how I’ve sometimes sent to you words I felt important for your possible consideration/meditation. This mornings words were meant just for me, because you literally “had to be there” to appreciate their impact. I can’t re-create what I felt, but I can describe it – and the lesson to be learned which will benefit all of us.

The tone of the morning was set when I visited Panera’s at 6:30AM. The woman behind the counter was quick to point out what a bad day it was going to be – all the work to be done there, her older kids problems, the stress of caring for the younger ones at home, and the juggling of two jobs to make ends meet. A bit more than the “what’ll you have today” conversation I expected. I helped her see some of the good things in her life, and what good she has accomplished in raising her kids – and once she got going on this, she really got excited about how good they really were and how they blessed her life. But when she finished, the worry lines remained on her brow, and somehow went to mine. Then I sat down with my coffee and began to read:

Morning Hymn
O God of light, the dawning day
Gives us new promise of your love.
Each fresh beginning is your gift,
Like gentle dew from heav’n above.

Your blessings, Father, never fail:
You Son, who is our daily Bread,
The Holy Spirit of your love,
By whom each day your sons are led.

Make us the servants of your peace,
Renew our strength, remove all fear;
Be with us, Lord, throughout this day,
For all is joy if you are near.

To Father, Son and Spirit blest,
One only God, we humbly pray:
Show us the splendor of your light
In death, the dawn of perfect day.

Shortly after reading this I looked up. And in front of me, I saw a glimpse of heaven. As I sat in the chair I could see over the four empty tables and chairs in front of me, and the counter at their far end. In and behind the counter the cakes, cookies and breads filled the shelves, colored with soft browns and yellows. The morning sun shone in, putting a sparkling on the whole vision, and the music so very softly played in the background, and all else was quiet – and remained that way for about 5 minutes as I took it all in. A glimpse of heaven: the tables set waiting, the food glorious in abundance and looking so tasty that you’d want to try everything. And peace. If he were there, I’d have offered Thomas Kinkaid whatever his price if he could paint the painting, if he could capture the mood. But I don’t think you can paint heaven.

When I looked down at my book again I read: “The Lord has worked marvels for us; make it known to the ends of the world”, which is why I am writing to you today. I wish you could have been there with me.

I pray that you might find in your day something so simple, yet so profound as I saw this morning. Because I think that instead of scheduling leisure time, trying to make fun and joy in our life, we will be far better off if we are just able to accept the joys freely given to us – as they were to me this morning. I am confident they are there in each of our lives, small blessings that we so easily overlook. I didn’t look for it or schedule it, but I found five minutes of joy put into my life this morning – and, praise God, I was able to recognize and appreciate it as such.

Take the time to recognize and appreciate the small blessings that come your way today. They’re there – He said He’d never leave us alone. The hug from your spouse this morning, the “we love you daddy” from the kids, the driver who let you in on the way to work (what a miracle!!), the co-worker who said “thanks”, and the person passing by who briefly smiled your way. Don’t ignore those things; think on them and smile. A little glimpse of heaven is given to all of us – and we need to see it.


I hope you are having a “heavenly” day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment