Sunday, August 23, 2009

Character

Orig: 02/19/08

My friends, I haven't recently typed up any of the meditations I read daily, and I'm worried about you going to hell --- just kidding! Actually, I'm more worried about Ford going to hell, especially after watching the first 10 minutes of the new Knight Rider show -- but that's a whole 'nother story.

The reason for sending out today's meditation on building character through perseverance is that it gave me pause to reflect on my reactions to problems: my mom having a bad day; a friend rambling on and on about his problems and looking to me for comfort -- and I have none, or even the stock market's fall impacting my retirement funds. My initial reaction is to say "God, we could use a little help here!" And when no help is immediately forthcoming, I sometimes get into a funk. Not a good way to react to problems. Not a good reflection on my character.


The Price of Character
Tribulation produces perseverance: and perseverance, character Romans 5:3-4

Do you sometimes find yourself looking at the seemingly good life of others and saying, "Why not me, God? How come they seem to get all the blessing?" What you may not know is the crises they have endured and the storms they have encountered that have brought them to that level. What trials have they faced that have caused their roots to sink deep into the true knowledge of God? How much wisdom have they gained in their pursuit of God? These are the questions that must be asked. Character is built by the way we choose to respond to the hard times and crises.
Jesus said those who "have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon (money)" cannot be trusted with true spiritual riches (Luke 16:11). In other words, those who are not good stewards over what they have now, whether it is natural or spiritual, cannot be entrusted with more. Only those who show themselves faithful in the small things will find themselves "trusted with much" (16:10).
As character grows, so grows the capacity to serve. As our relationship with Christ grows, so grows our responsibility in his kingdom. As our ability to follow grows, so grows our ability to lead.

Father, on the other side of the storm, I see a stronger child of God. Oh Lord, give me a heart that trusts you.

Between Sundays -- Shawn Craig Tuesday, Week 31



(I especially liked that last line.)

No comments:

Post a Comment