Sunday, August 16, 2009

Judge Not -- Why Not?

Orig: 09/10/08

I had a friend call me last night and talk about her son, who has been having some increasingly difficult mental problems. She didn’t call me for advice, but just to talk to someone who would listen – contrary to the screaming, berating commentary she sometimes feels from our culture. And it sometimes makes her sad, confused, afraid, and alone.

The recent media commentary, written and implied, on Sarah Palin, I think, contributed to her angst. Palin recently gave birth to a child with Downs Syndrome, when routine ambio-tests identify that illness early in pregnancy – and over 90% of the babies are then killed in this country. The media hasn’t asked the next question of Palin, but everyone knows what it is. And my friend is sometimes troubled over her decisions, those early in the life of her son, and now. And while she absolutely, totally wants to do what is best for her son, our culture leaves heavy, unasked questions on her mind not about her son, but about her and her decisions. I think she feels judged by our culture and our media, and sometimes feels alone with the questions no one will ask aloud.

This morning I read the following lines which I believe point to the righteousness of my friend and of Sarah Palin – regardless of what ANYONE else my say or believe:

“If we are able by our love to give meaning to another person, just one other person, our life will have been infinitely worthwhile.

Only by helping to liberate others are we ourselves liberated; only by sheltering others do we ourselves receive shelter; only by caring for others will we ourselves find someone to care for us.

If we seriously undertake to concern ourselves about the protection of others, we will soon discover that others will be concerned about us. Perhaps we are so antagonistic today, so notably helpless in our efforts to be Christian, because it is so often ourselves that we are attempting to help.”


Co-Workers of the Truth; Meditations for Every Day of the Year – September 10 - Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI)


I think my friend, Sarah Palin, and so many others understand and live what love, caring, and concern for others is really about. It’s not about ourselves. Want more meaning to your life? Read the above quotes again.


P.S. About my friend, did she feel less sad, confused, and afraid after she spoke to me? I don’t know about those things, and I’m not sure she does either. But after getting the kids off to school this morning, she went to mass. I think it’s a safe bet she knows she’s not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment