Friday, August 28, 2009

Morning Meditations From Today

Orig: 08/24/07

HE SPENT THE NIGHT IN PRAYER

He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
Luke 6:12

Sometimes people who make pivotal decisions with long-range implications spend days asking what their friends think or consulting with the "experts" or seeking advice from self-help gurus -- and less than five minutes seeking God's will about the issue at hand.

But before Jesus chose his twelve apostles, he spent the night in conversation his Father. Even though he was the Son of God, he did not feel it a waste to spend the whole night in prayer. By his example he taught us that major decisions require major prayer and that one of the best ways to use our time is in communion with God.

Psalm 1:1 tells us, "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly". We cannot have peace or wisdom regarding our circumstances when we spend our time seeking the advice of the "ungodly". And who are the ungodly? Those whose minds are not in the process of being transformed (see Romans 12:2).

Jesus sought the wisdom of the Father. He spent the night in prayer when he chose his board of directors. What about you? Do you pray when you hire or fire someone? When you change jobs, careers, or locations, do you seek your Father's counsel? Do you have other important decisions that would benefit from godly wisdom? (Are there any other kinds of decisions?)

Jesus "order my steps in thy word" (Psalm 119:133). What is your word concerning my life and the decisions I must make?
Between Sundays Thursday, Week 12



Ant: As morning breaks, I look to you, O God, to be my strength this day, alleluia.

O God, you are my God, for you I long;
for you my soul is thirsting.
My body pines for you
like a dry, weary land without water.
So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
to see your strength and your glory.

For your love is better than life,
my lips will speak your praise.
So I will bless you all my life,
in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet,
my mouth shall praise you with joy.

On my bed I remember you.
On you I muse through the night
for you have been my help;
in the shadow of your wings I rejoice.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand holds me fast.

Ant: As morning breaks I look to you, O God, to be my strength this day, alleluia
Psalm 63:2-9

No comments:

Post a Comment