Thursday, August 6, 2009

Submission

Orig: 06/26/08

These are from today’s readings, in the order I read them:

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves; let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to edify him. For Christ did not please himself; but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached thee fell on me.” For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope. May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 15:1-6

You have heard that it was said of the men of old, “You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.” But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says “You fool!” shall be liable to the hell of fire. So if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison; truly, I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny.
Matt 5:21-26 (interestingly, the reading was to be Matt 6, but I read 5 in error)


The Power of the Submitted Life
Submit yourselves therefore to God - James 4:7
When I think of what it means to submit, I remember a family trip I took as a teenager. I had just received my driver’s permit and I insisted on driving every time an opportunity arose. We had rented a small motor home, and as we were making our way through Utah, my parents permitted me not only to drive but to read the map and choose the best route. I selected what appeared to be a shortcut. What I did not perceive from the map was that the “shortcut” was through a mountain pass. Suddenly I found myself driving the motor home over a small mountain road with dangerous turns. Eventually I had to stop and turn around because the road ahead was closed due to snow. By the time we reached the bottom of the mountain, my hands were shaking on the steering wheel, and I gladly submitted to my parents’ expertise as drivers and navigators. What a relief it was to scoot out of the driver’s seat and led Dad take charge again!
When we submit ourselves to God, we are saying, in effect, “Lord, you know the road ahead. You lead and I’ll follow.” It is an act of trust, a relinquishing of control. He knows the dangerous turns that lie ahead, and we need his expertise and direction.
Father, I gladly turn over the wheel of my life to you. I submit to your wisdom and your plan. What power – and what relief – I feel as I do this! Between Sundays - Shawn Craig, Friday Week 3.





The Lord gives us burdens and he removes them, because when he gives a cross to one of his elect, he so strengthens them that, bearing the weight with this strength, they are relieved of its burden.

To souls loved by God, tribulations are more precious than gold or rest. These souls will be very happy if they constantly persevere: ‘For a day in your courts is better than a thousand years in the tents of sinners’, sang the royal Prophet.

In the midst of the trials that God’s goodness exposes you to, continue to live entirely in God. What greater happiness is there, than to live entirely in God, since he loves his own, he protects them, guides them and leads them to the longed-for harbour of eternity.

Yes, my God, do not delay in coming to my aid! Do you not see that I have no more strength to fight, that all my vigour is gone? O my God, you who know the extreme bitterness of my spirit, do not delay in coming to my aid. You alone can and must draw me out of this prison of death. Ah! No. I will not grow weary of crying loudly with Job: ‘Even though he kills me, I will not cease to hope in him.’
Words of Light; Inspiration from the letters of Padre Pio

No comments:

Post a Comment