Thursday, October 29, 2009

Each Important; Each Insignificant

I like the description of us as being members of the Body of Christ. It emphasizes the importance of each of us – when considering what we are part of, and our uniqueness, and it also emphasizes the insignificance of each of us – when considering the size of the whole, and our role compared to others. I think we sometimes get confused, however, on this dual role, and overemphasize only our importance – both to Christ and to the other members of his body, and marginalize our insignificance.

I was reading a very good book recently, and the author was writing about Hope: “Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Col 1:23-27). As I read along, I found myself interested and nodding in agreement with his thoughts. Suddenly, he transitioned to discussion about our “common calling” and our differing hopes, and what we must do together, for instance in Latin America “where hopes and social transformation are at stake”. What?! The topic went from me finding hope and my reason for being, into what WE must do to change a foreign society. Noticeably and importantly, the transition cited did not include mention of God, or his Church accompanying what WE must do. This gave me pause. I think the author had jumped from his primary topic to a separate issue on which he had some strong personal feelings. He couldn’t help himself -- or see what he had done. It’s a transition we all often make, to justify those strong feelings (and perhaps true God-given insights) we sometimes have. (We may be seeing something similar in political actions being put forth in our country today, what WE must do.)

I must be careful that the “I” of my life, my worth and my purpose to the degree that I have found it, does not excite me into a: “I’ve found the way; WE must go forth in faith.” No! It is still “I”. Others must find their own “I”; others must find their own path. My path will not be the same as theirs. My path is not the only one, nor perhaps the most important. A bit of humility is called for.

Jesus did not send the apostles out to change the world as an army, but as leaven, to change individual hearts in the world. Jesus speaks of his leaders as shepherds, and his followers as lambs. Mohammed is said to have espoused conquering the world for Allah, to force his kingdom. We need to remember the distinction.

Some of us burn with an anxiety: “The Lord has shown me the way”, and we want to share that way with others. I understand this, and I myself often want to act in a similar way. But if I act this way, I am wrong.

God calls and loves each of us uniquely. I am not you, and you are not me. My call, the purpose of my being is not yours, nor yours mine. To my understanding, I was not called to be a pastor, a leader of God’s flock. I am but one of the sheep. If I try to lead the whole flock based on some understanding of what I am called to be, I may lead others into danger – they may not be called to go where I go. As one who is called to be a pastor sins if he does not try to lead the flock, so I sin if I try to. This is not to say I live alone in the world, and that I don’t look out for the good of the flock; I am one of them. If I find some good grass, I’ll tell my neighbor: “Hey! Try this; I think it’s very good.” If I see a wolf sneaking around, I’ll say: “Look out! I feel there’s danger there.” And if I hear the Shepherd’s voice and the others don’t, I’ll try to describe it to them so they can hear it also – although describing someone else’s voice (especially God’s) is a very hard thing to do. But I’ll try; it is important. These are right and good things for me to do: I love my neighbor, my fellow sheep.

When I say (or write in this blog) that God has sometimes shown me some truth, let’s be clear. I search for Truth in this life, but there is truth, and there is Truth. When I think I find some truth of my being, or Truth of God’s being, I wish to share this with others. But the truth of my being may help others find good things or stay away from bad in their walk. Maybe. The Truth of God’s being, his voice, may help remind them of their destination and to hear his voice, and help them persevere.

Making you aware of what I think is important for me may turn out to be insignificant for you, because I am insignificant. Helping you be aware of what I think is important from God, is important for both of us, because TOGETHER WITH HIM, we are significant.

So don’t tell me of some great insight you have of how you must lead your life, and be disappointed if I don’t want to follow you. And I’ll try to act the same. And I’ll tell you of what great things he has done for me, and be happy for all the good things he has done for you, because you are my friends, and I care about you deeply. And perhaps, with God’s help, you may learn from me, and I from you.

So talk to me, anytime! I’m sure there’s much more I need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment