Sunday, October 25, 2009

I Must Drive You Crazy

Orig 12/13/07

Thursday, December 13

Fear not, O worm Jacob, O maggot Israel; I will help you, says the Lord. - Isaiah 41:14

Yikes! Talk about tough love. It's strange how loyal and generous God is to his people while still not seeming very fond of them.

I think I know where God is coming from, though. I talk to my children this way sometimes (albeit under my breath). ""What can I do for you (you little monster)? Of course I'll help (problem child). What do you need (you big whiner). I guess we all have love-hate relationships, especially with the people closest to us. I love my daughters like crazy, but sometimes they drive me crazy. My husband does too. But they couldn't make me so nuts if I didn't love them so much.

I imagine that's how God feels about me sometimes. I know I do things that would make any good parent cringe. I'm sinful. I'm neglectful. I'm ambivalent. But if I exasperate or disappoint God, I guess it's only because God loves me enough to mind. I wonder what God would say about me under his breath.

God, I must drive you crazy. Thank you for loving me that much.

- Living Faith Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment