Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Letter To Pastors

Orig 12/30/05

My Dear Fathers;

I presently am the “adopted” father of a teenage boy – he lives with me because of difficulties he had in his home. We sometimes have conversations about what has happened in his life, and what he thinks or hopes will happen in the future. From a human-success viewpoint, he has much potential, and from a faith viewpoint he has much underlying strength. As I read Morning Prayer this day, some of his words and thoughts of others spoken to me came to mind. And I feel compelled to share them with you.

“The saying ‘Know yourself’’ means therefore that we should recognize and acknowledge in ourselves the God who made us in his own image” were in the Morning Prayer. I believe we often acknowledge the God who is within us right at this moment and perhaps even feel Hope for the God promised to us, but fail to remember the God of our past. The building blocks which got us thus far in our journey to holiness are not merely a foundation in the past, they must be reflected upon and used in the present, or we shall run astray of the many temptations or despair of the present hour, and urges to trust our own wisdom that say: “come, this is the way”.

My “adopted”’ teen reflects sadly about how he used to attend a local teen program, which was cancelled. “It spoke to me in a way that I understood God”, he says. Not aware of it myself, I spoke to other parents, who voiced the same opinion that: “it was killed by the local parishes who forced the diocese to end it; I guess they were losing parishioners”. Your parishes. How sad if true: a program which feeds the flock is killed by the shepherds, in hopes of having more sheep. But whether true or not, it is the belief of many who had children in the program, those children who now fail to attend mass and whose parents despair.

Last night, I had a local parishioner complain to me of the lack of education, and outright fear by many about the tribunal process for divorced Catholics. She has a master’s in theology and is a licensed social worker in the state, and wondered aloud how she might start some type of education program. I picked up my church’s Sunday bulletin and read to her about a nearby talk being given on annulments by a tribunal judge. Her “WHAT!!!!!” echoed off my walls. “How can they get a tribunal judge to come out and talk, and we can’t get MENTION of annulments in our parishes?” We then read through the many other talks and support groups in the parish bulletin, from Job Seekers, to Theology of the Body, to converts, to Catholic Literature Reading and contemplative spirituality groups – along with the usual bible study groups. All supported and routinely meeting in parish facilities. Catholic-education focused groups. And a Discernment retreat article was next to the one asking for prayers for the many men from the church in formation for the priesthood. “Your parish is very blessed,” she said. But I think not.

I’ve been in and to your parishes throughout the past 35 years; I helped build some of them. And reflecting back, much makes me sad. There was much opportunity in the growth that occurred. And in some ways, I believe that opportunity squandered. Oh, I won’t deny that we have very big, beautiful churches in our community, tons of wonderful social programs – outreaches to the poor – the best that money can buy. And perhaps, for most of our parishioners that is the definition of a successful parish, a well-run Catholic church.

But is that the definition that should satisfy you?

Augustine had many wonderful sermons about the duty and burdens laid upon the shepherds of the flock. I myself would undoubtedly fail were I to be given such burdens. But God has chosen them for you. With this new year, and my humble reflection on weaknesses of the past, I would ask you to go back and read Augustine’s reflections. Read the words of Thomas a’Kempis on how we should be imitating Christ. Reflect on the examples I gave you of friends who are disappointed, your parishioners. Reflect on how you should be leading His flock.

It is not too late to become as we should be. I don’t judge, but reflect on what I see and hear. We are all challenged to grow in faith, throughout our lives. Challenge your flock. Get them to grow in their faith, not just works. Their and your performance isn’t just how much they donated last week, or how much debt remains on the parish books. It’s: How many men are in formation to the priesthood? How many women to religious life? How many teens choose Catholic high schools; how many choose Catholic colleges? What portion of your parish donations are tithed to the poor? How many parish baseball teams win not championships, but have a team which also counts wins as reaching out to those in need? How many adults attend Catholic education classes, and learn that contrary to the politically-correct teaching: “we have and must speak up for our rights”, but also that “we have and must live out our moral obligations”. How many study the catechism? How many went South to re-build Catholic colleges and high schools damaged by hurricane Katrina – the schools that receive no government aid for re-building? How often do we pray for our pope, our president, our soldiers and others who represent our country abroad? (Not as a prayer I recently heard for “those in church and government positions who live out the gospel” – implying we only pray for some of our leaders who believe as we do. So, do we not pray for the others?)

My dear fathers: I don’t know why I feel compelled to write this; I wish to get back to my prayers. I only wish to say: Don’t give up; GET up. Come let us be on our way; there is much work to be done. Don’t be parish administrators or cheer leaders; become leaders. Don’t become social leaders in your parish or among other churches in the area. Your main area of leadership should be in teaching the faith. Given that strong foundation, your flock will reach out to other churches, to other people in need. That is what you, by acting in persona Christi, will have taught them. Don’t give up that parishes must be closed for lack of priests – find them or educate them. Cardinal George has brought priests from Poland to his parishes. There are more than enough there, or Uganda or Brazil for our parishes. Any difficulties CAN be overcome. As a businessman, I know that the easiest solution is usually not the best. As a Catholic who looks to the example of Christ, surely you know and believe the same. Get up! Ask Christ to show you the path, and bless your work, then be on your way. Much is expected of you.

I pray for you always, that you may have the strength to bear the burdens given to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment