Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lord, I Am Not Worthy

Then the Lord appeared to Abram and said, “To your descendants I will give this land.” (Gen12:7)
Lord, I am not worthy.

God called to him … “Moses, Moses! … Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring forth my people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.” (Ex 3:4,10)
Lord, I am not worthy.

The Lord came to Nathan, “Go and tell my servant David, … I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son.” (2Sm 7: 5, 12-14)
Lord, I am not worthy.

Do not be afraid, Mary, … you will conceive in you womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High.” (Lk 1:30-32)
Lord, I am not worthy.

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. (Mt 1:18)
Lord, I am not worthy.

Take, eat; this is my body. (Mt 26:26)
Lord, I am not worthy.

None WERE worthy; all were called to greatness. So are you.

What call is God making to you that you don’t feel worthy of? What big thing does he seem to be asking of you? All these others in scripture were told of great things being expected of them. Don’t you think they were afraid and felt unworthy?

Despite these great things he asked of them, these men and women were given the strength to answer the call – and even more. Abram accepted an order to kill his only son. Moses walked in on the most powerful man in the world, and told him what to do. David faced Goliath. A young, pregnant Mary faced her neighbors. Peter said he loved Jesus three times, and meant it, even to his death.

How many unknown people in history have accepted a call which resulted in great things being accomplished, despite their fears of pain, ridicule, and of being unworthy?

How is God calling you to bear witness now? What great and difficult thing is he asking of you? What pain is he asking you to bear? It’s OK to be afraid; it’s OK to ask for help, even “Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass”. But if this call, this challenge is handed to you, stand tall. He will give you the strength to answer the call.
Lord, I am not worthy, but only say the word, and I shall be healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment