Friday, October 2, 2009

Trust In God

You know how these meditations arise. Sometimes I read something which I consider very well written, which opens my mind to new paths of understanding. The best, I share with you. Truthfully, these others write much better than I, but still I feel compelled, sometimes, to write of insights I have found, things I have meditated on, things which have given me peace. Because that’s the title of this blog: Do Not Be Anxious. It’s meant to help us all in troubled times.

On rare occasions, I am struck by something is “old hat”. Something I knew, something I thought I understood, something which I would normally read past at a great speed. But I don’t.

These “old” things sometimes need to be read, and read again, and thought about. I put the reading I had this morning in that grouping. As I sat in front of the altar, I read it and was all set to move on, but I had to pause – and read it again. Then I underlined the words in my prayer book. They are worth noting again in the future, as important words. Words we need to meditate upon. Reminders of the basic promise and command: Do Not Be Anxious.


The Lord is near; have no anxiety. The Lord is always near to all who call upon his help with sincerity, true faith, sure hope, and perfect love. He knows what you need, even before you ask him. He is always ready to come to the aid of all his faithful servants in every need. There is no reason for us to be in a state of great anxiety when evils threaten; we must remember that God is very near us as our protector. The Lord is at hand for those who are troubled in heart, and he will save those who are downcast in spirit. The tribulations of the just are many, and the Lord will rescue them from them all. If we do our best to obey and keep his commandments, he does not delay in giving us what he has promised.

But in every prayer and entreaty let your petitions be made known to God, with thanksgiving. In time of trouble we must not grumble or be downhearted; God forbid! We must rather be patient and cheerful, giving thanks to God always in everything.”
From a treatise on the letter to the Philippians by Saint Ambrose, bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment