Monday, October 5, 2009

What Should I Do?

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace

There is so much wrong: in our government, in our community, in our church. I want to tell everyone what I think is wrong with THEM, to sit down and discuss facts and reach some reasoned consensus. I want to tell others why THOSE people are wrong, and gain support for my ideas. I want to make something happen.

I think and pray about what I want to do, and what I can do. I think about the balancing between my will, and God’s. I think about the gifts he has given me, and his expectation that I will use them. To those who are given more, more will be expected of them. I think about the underpinning of my faith: Trust in God. But where is the balance between me doing things and me trusting in HIM to do things? Where is the balance between me pointing out others’ wrongs, Admonish the sinner, and me judging: Judge not, lest ye be judged?

And what of the things I believe should be done, but I can’t do them? How much faith do I put in leaders who are in a position to do things: How much do I support them; how much do I admonish them? In my smallness, what should I do?

Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice (Mt 23:3)

I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be offered for all men, especially for kings and those in authority, that we may be able to lead undisturbed and tranquil lives in perfect piety and dignity. 2Tim 2:1

“Reprove yourself if ever the devil or your own short-sightedness should do you the disservice of making you want to force all my servants to walk by the same path you yourself follow, for this would be contrary to the teaching given you by my Truth.” (104) “Even when they see something that is clearly sinful they do not pass judgment, but rather feel a holy and genuine compassion, praying for the sinner and saying with perfect humility, ‘Today it is your turn; tomorrow it will be mine unless divine grace holds me up.’” (100)
-The Dialogue of Catherine of Siena

It is hard for me to not speak out: “I’m right! Listen to me!” It’s hard to not speak bluntly of sins I see. It’s hard to pray for others, especially some of our “leaders”, trusting that it is for God to judge, not me.

It is hard.

Do not be Anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment