Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy All Saints Day

November first is the feast day of All Saints in the Catholic Church. Saints are those recognized by the Church as souls likely to be in heaven; men and women whose lives can be held up as models of how to lead a life which leads to heaven.

At the time of the apostles, the title “saint” was routinely applied to all followers of Jesus; Paul addressed his letters to them (see 2Cor 1). Later, saints were identified by an acclamation of the people, who recognized the especially holy within their midst. Deceased Saints were routinely prayed to in the early Church; you can visit the burial vaults under St Peter’s in Rome and read the scratching on the walls: Peter, Pray for us; Paul, Pray for us.

With the coming of many heresies in the first 500 years of the church, it became more debatable just who WAS a follower of Jesus, and at some point the Church of Rome began a more formal procedure for the identification of Saints, with a capital “S”. The procedure now involves requirements of two “certified” miracles supporting a formal petition for sainthood, and a hearing involving a Devil’s Advocate, who expresses points of skepticism of the holiness of the person.

One of the things I especially like about the Catholic Church is that it challenges its members to grow in holiness; it challenges every member to become a saint, to enter heaven. “Growing in holiness” recognizes that we won’t be perfect in this life, but we can get better. We can “practice” for heaven. And when we fail and fall back from our growth? Then the Church provides for confession and absolution of sins to get us going in the right direction again.

I like the idea of me being challenged to become a Saint. I suspect, however, there is little likelihood of me being formally proclaimed one by the Church. I could just imagine a formal hearing for my sainthood. The Devil’s Advocate and his friends would be holding a tailgate party outside, celebrating his victory beforehand. At the hearing, my promoter would walk in with a sheet of paper and a couple of lines about the few good things I had done. Then the Devil’s Advocate would drop a huge stack of papers on his desk as big as Nancy Pelosi’s health care bill, and say: “Let me begin …”.

Only by the great mercy of God would I ever win that debate!

Fortunately, even the Church admits that its process is by no means infallible. It identifies holy men and women, even those said to have performed miracles, as only likely to be in heaven, and it makes no comment about the likelihood of others being there. God is the final judge. There are some who expect that virtually everyone will get to heaven – Jesus is merciful; there are some who expect very few – the path is narrow.

I have read of “the glorious army of the saints in heaven”. As I gazed at the cross above the altar this morning though, I could see Jesus coming down and leading me, leading US. No, it’s not the army of the saints in heaven that I could see him leading, but the army of the saints here on earth. Us, he leads us into battle. He leads us to holiness. He leads us on the path to heaven, so that we can join together with all his Saints. All of his Church, together.

Come, Lord Jesus, and lead me. I will follow”.

No comments:

Post a Comment