Saturday, November 14, 2009

I Thought You Were My Friend ...

Et tu, Brute? There are many hurts in life, but perhaps none worse than betrayal by a friend.

It hurts, but it should not hurt because they no longer give you what you want, but because they seem to no longer be the one who you chose to love. And you ask yourself: “Are they still worth my love; did I err in my commitment?” And you seem alone in your grief.

Psalm 55
O God, listen to my prayer, do not hide from my pleading,
attend to me and reply; with my cares, I cannot rest.

If this had been done by an enemy I could bear his taunts,
if a rival had risen against me, I could hide from him.

But it is you, my own companion, my intimate friend!
How close was the friendship between us. We walked together in harmony in the house of God.

The traitor has turned against his friends.

Entrust your cares to the Lord and he will support you.
He will never allow the just man to stumble.

O Lord, I will trust in you.


Lord Jesus, you were rejected by your people, betrayed by the kiss of a friend, and deserted by your disciples. Give us the confidence that you had in the Father, and our salvation will be assured.
Liturgy of The Hours Book IV, Friday, Week IV

No comments:

Post a Comment