Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Morn

Last night I thought that I should write some words this morning about all the many things I should be thankful for, but although there were hundreds of things I could mention, my mind was a blank. I needn’t have worried though; I’ve come to trust that the words I write here are not meant to be mine.

I awoke in the quiet pre-dawn hour intending to make a quick drive to my house, as mom slept quietly. I dressed, took my morning meds, and chewed a vitamin. And then I felt things come to a stop. A problem I’ve had before, started again – my throat closed up, and the little pieces of the vitamin and the saliva I swallowed would not go down. The minutes passed as I stood over the sink and continually retched up the saliva which would not pass. What usually might clear in minutes approached an hour. Talking to God seemed to be an empty prayer. And then I sat down, and spoke to him.

Things got very calm for me; all anxiety passed as I breathed slowly and calmly. I asked for his hand. And although I never felt things pass, I knew the problem had ended. And I gave sincere thanks, for the friend who was with me. Thanksgiving had started – not with words I planned to write, but with a touch of God on me. What better way to begin?

I drove to my house and looked up at the cloudy sky; despite that there were the rays of sun streaking through, God’s beauty shining forth. I picked up my mail from the night before and walked into the house for a moment. On the table was a card from the unemployed man I had hired to do odd jobs. He wrote a note of sincere thanks to me, and a blessing. “I want you to know you have a friend forever.”

And I wondered what I would write about this morning?? So often I pray that I might sincerely act out in my life the two great commandments: Love God, and Love My Neighbor. Here, in the first hour of this Thanksgiving day, I have seen proof that my God and my neighbor -- they both love me!

What more could I give thanks for.

On the way back to mom’s, I listened to a CD of nuns singing Christmas carols in their heavenly voices: Glory to God, and on earth peace to men.

Back at mom’s I read my morning prayers, and I read many words with great meaning for me:
There are many things that are true, honorable and just, many that are pure: think about them. These you must do, and the God of peace will be with you. (Phil 4:9, 1Cor 16:13)
Be now our guide while life shall last, and our eternal home.
Give us life that we may call upon your name.
You called in distress and I saved you.
In the early hours of the morning, I think of you, O Lord. Always you are there to help me.


I hope you don’t start this day with any difficulties, as I did. I’m sure you have enough problems. Your sick children, your spouse who seems so remote at times, the in-laws you wish weren’t coming to dinner today. Some of you are alone this day, and some of you wish you were. And some of you are sick, maybe very sick. Perhaps you, like I did yesterday, find it difficult to find words to say what you are thankful for. But I am sure that you, as I, know that there are many blessings in our lives – even if we often forget them.

The knowledge that God is with you in all your distress. Your ability to bear the worst pains and suffering. The knowledge that you have done so many good things in this world – even if they were unappreciated. The morning sunrise. The beauty of music. The love of an innocent child. You are so very blessed in your life. Your blessings aren’t measured by the things you have, or don’t – everyone will lose them some day.

Your blessings are measured in the very life you have, every breath you take. If God searched his immeasurable wisdom and sought to find the greatest thing he could give to you, he could find nothing greater than to give you life. It is your greatest blessing. He thought so much of this great gift to you that he willingly gave his own life, that you might have yours for eternity – with him. Greater love no man has …

This Thanksgiving morning think not of the difficulties in your life, think of how immeasurably blessed you are, and give thanks.

In the early hours of the morning, I think of you, O Lord. Always you are there to help me.

I wish you much love and peace this day, my friends. I am thankful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment