Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Morning

Orig: 12/25/08


It is a beautiful Christmas morning today. A soft snowfall fills the air, and the birds are rushing around the newly-filled feeder on my mom’s front window. And it is a beautiful quiet. Everything feels as it should be. I read the pope’s midnight mass message, as usual filled with prayers for the many problems of the world, pointing them out one by one, but ending on hope. It’s the most important message of Christmas. If God would send his Son into what we would call “this mess of a world”, surely it was done with a message of Hope. We must seek it, and never forget it.

This morning’s Psalm readings were most appropriate, so I’ll let them speak for themselves:

Psalm 2
Blessed are they who put their trust in God.

Psalm 3
O God, you are my God, for you I long;
For you my soul is thirsting.
My body pines for you
Like a dry, weary land without water.
So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
To see your strength and your glory.

For your love is better than life,
My lips will speak your praise.
So I will bless you all my life,
In your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet,
My mouth shall praise you with joy.

On my bed I remember you.
On you I muse through the night
For you have been my help;
In the shadow of your wings I rejoice.
My soul clings to you;
Your right hand holds me fast.


Prayer
Father, creator of unfailing light, give that same light to those who call to you.
May our lips praise you; our lives proclaim your goodness;
our work give you honor, and our voices celebrate you for ever.


Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment