Monday, January 4, 2010

Are You The One?

On the feast of the Epiphany, the magi sought to give homage to the king foretold by the ancient prophecies.

So often I think and act as if I am the important one, as if what I think or what I do has some great import, but other times I realize that thinking has no meaning – for it means I prioritize being alone, above others. I don’t want to be alone, so my actions CAN’T focus on making me that way. It makes no sense, so why do I so often act that way?

It is the word “I”, I think, that so confuses me. I put so many things in terms of “I” – I, the one of importance. Our society loudly reinforces this way of thinking, keeping me confused. It says with every commercial, with every product, even in every classroom for first-graders: you are important. Look out for number one, yourself. In America, we are taught very early in our life, we are important.

But I know I really am not THE “number one”, if anything I am really a zero, for I know I am nothing without Christ. Without him, my life would have ended with my death. Without him, the “second Adam”, I could not become as close to God as the first Adam was. Without his example, I could not know how to live my life with any purpose – other than for “number one”, myself. Without him, I would truly be alone. He came into the world that we might be one with him. He is the light of the world, and he came that we might have light.

So often I feel alone, in the midst of all the things I have. I don’t seem to understand so many things, and so many things seem against me and those I love. I want, I pray for things to be better, but it often seems there is no answer; I am alone, in the dark. But if I am in darkness it is only because I have shut my eyes to the truth. Jesus is the light of the world and came into it that we might share in his light. In my darkest times I must shout to myself:

Open your eyes! It is only dark if you won’t open your eyes!

The Church gives us seven sacraments, all focused on opening our eyes to the light, opening to God’s graces through his Son’s example and Being. Forgiving sins, anointing us in commitment to be as God wills us to be, training us in how to love – as he loves, bringing us as close to him as we can be in this earthly life, even to the point of touching his heavenly life in the Eucharist. He came that we might have life, eternal life. He came that we might be eternally in him, and with him as adopted sons of the Father.

I am not one of any importance, except as I am one in him. Growing in holiness, growing ever closer to him now, ‘til I am one, one with him in eternity. Now I am really nothing, but I am not alone. He promised that I can be one in him, as a son of the Father. I am nothing now, but in truth I shall become one with the most important one in all eternity.

The magi came to see; Lord, help me to see.

As I prayed Pio’s prayer after communion this morning the words took on an even deeper meaning:
Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light and without You I am in darkness.
Stay with me, Lord, for I desire to love You very much and always be in Your company.
Stay with me, Lord, because at the hour of my death, I want to remain united to You, if not by communion, at least by grace and love.
Stay with me, Lord, for it is You alone I look for, Your Love, Your Grace, Your Will, Your Heart, Your Spirit, because I love You and ask no other reward but to love You more and more.
With a firm love, I will love You with
all my heart while on earth, and continue to love You perfectly during all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment