Thursday, January 21, 2010

With Interest

I wrote recently a meditation on how we should lead our life, and focused on the parable of the talents, noting that the gifts given to us must be returned, with interest, if we are to be using our lives as God intended, and to be joining him in eternity. But this morning my thoughts turned to a more earthly definition of “interest”.

I have a meeting with my financial advisor this morning. As far my retirement investments go, things are well, and my retirement investments have more than recovered from the downturn in the stock markets. And that’s where my problem – or this meditation – is focused this morning.

With no pride I state that minimizing the impact of the downturn and quickly recovering in my investments were in no small part due to my research. The losses in traditional mutual funds recommended by my advisor have been more than offset by my work – with much help from God, of course. Is my “interest” in the accounts also an “interest” (return) on my talents? What is my use of these monies, should they continue to grow? What should they be used for? In a few years all my obligations will be paid off: pledges to church and car and home loans. Unless my pension folds, it seems I have funds enough to do most things I want – and certainly those I need – without my retirement savings. So what should I do with these monies – and when?

Should I continue to monitor and have some focus on investments – it is a talent I have, and some fun for me. Is it a use of my talents to return financial gifts for a Godly use, or is it a gift of God to give me pleasure in life? Or both?? I could always will the funds to good charities upon my death, but should I be seeking to give away now? Should I turn over the fund to a Christian management firm, or continue to “play” in the accounts? Is there a better use of my time?

I have a financial advisor. I wish I had a spiritual advisor to talk over the many thoughts I have on my life. Meanwhile, I know that God and his Holy Spirit is a wonderful, continuing advisor to me – in many things. He speaks to me in the quiet of my prayers, and in the knowledge he gives me through the great books he bids me to read. This morning I concluded two wonderful books, Charity in Truth (Caritas in Veritate) by Benedict XVI, and Beatitudes by Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa. Both contain wonderful words to meditate on, especially Cantalamessa’s “An Examination of Conscience based on the Beatitudes”. They give me much to meditate on.

And so I give their words to you, in my next (separate) posting. Their wonderful words do not deserve to be cluttered with my usual ramblings and comments. Read them; enjoy; and meditate on them as you take a look at your life. And if you should not like the life you see there, well, there is always confession. I shall search that out myself this morning.

Peace and blessings to you this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment