Sunday, February 21, 2010

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Orig: 2/23/09

I have known many of you, my friends, for many years, although some I may have not seen or spoken to in a long time. You are my friends though not through a mere handshake, but in heart. What I have seen in your heart is good, and I will never forget you.

The Church season of Lent is upon us. For those of you who do not understand this, it is a time set apart for us to remember that once a supremely good man walked this earth, and he gave his life that evil might not triumph. In our remembering during this season, we are challenged to imitate Him. You know how sad the world is right now, so as good men, men who I know do care – and as my friends – I challenge you to imitate Him in some small way, to make the world become a better place during the next 6 weeks.

A few years back, I wrote to one of the holiest men I know and challenged him to be better by doing something he was disinclined to do. (I know, how presumptuous of me!!) He did it, and wrote back to thank me for urging him to do something good that he judged unimportant. Even the least of us are important.

So, I challenge you: This Lent, do one good thing for someone else. More specifically, I challenge you to do one good thing for someone who, up to now, you would not consider doing anything for. Perhaps it is someone way above you, perhaps someone who would ignore you, perhaps someone who would laugh at you and your efforts, perhaps even someone who hates you. Perhaps it is someone you know; perhaps just someone you heard of. Do something that you know will be good for them this Lent -- an action, a donation, a prayer -- even if they don’t know you did it. Don’t do it out of love for them, or to show yourself better than them, or even to spite them. Do it because it is a good thing to do.

Remember this challenge, and watch for the opportunity. It will be there. Perhaps you will hear yourself say: “Who would ever want to help that fool.” Perhaps you will say: “Someone should do something about that”, or even: “Someone should speak up about that.” There! Look! There is the opportunity! You are the person!

Do it because you are my friend. Do it because you are a man of good heart, and for doing it you will have made this world a small bit better – for them, and for you. Who but God knows the ultimate fruit of your action.

Happy Lenten season, my friend. Let us pray the world may be a better place by Easter. I trust in you.

Peace and Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment