Thursday, February 25, 2010

That's Old News

Some days I wish I were closer to the Lord; I wish I had new words to say to Him, and He new insights to give me (and if they were good, I’d share them with you!). But some days are just … days.

I can read in the paper of horrible accidents, murders, and earthquakes. I can read a novel or even Scripture, and not remember what I read. I can see the pile of food for the poor at the church entranceway and think it’s just stuff in the way. Today, for me, that’s all old news. It’s just… so… boring.

Why is that? You experience it too; I know you do. The tasks at work may change, but sometimes they all seem the same. Different cars are on the road to work, but yours is on automatic as it drives you to the office – and perhaps you might, as I did, sometimes have a morning meeting in another building, but still your care drives automatically to your office. Then you lightly curse yourself (you should have laughed!) for your forgetfulness.

It’s snowing today. Again. Perhaps your kids were unruly this morning, or your spouse grumpy – again. Perhaps the frail relative you care for is especially trying; perhaps the baby is especially crying. On another day these things could really get you mad, but today all you can think is: That’s old news.

I guess much of life comes to us that way. Life gives us much of the same ol’, same ol’. We sometimes wish someone new would come along, or something interesting would happen to us. I guess that’s partly why when the pretty gal or guy walks by, we look up and smile, or we laugh at a surprise gift. Maybe we even scream when the boogeyman jumps up on the movie screen. And we like it; we like when that happens, it’s something new.

If you’ve been reading along these words and examples, perhaps you are starting to think: “Yeh, yeh, same ol’, same ol’, that’s old news.” Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! You are wrong!! Why?! Because contrary to what I just wrote you are NOT starting to think. And therein lies the problem.

Did you notice that everything I wrote, every example, pointed out things happening TO you, and your reactions? Did you think about that? The “old news” were things you’d seen, things that happened to you, things you observed, thinking about yourself. You’re waiting for “better” things to happen. Well, who do you think you are, some king or queen who sits back on the pillows waiting to be entertained? If the players aren’t new or funny, do you want to say: “Boring! Off with their heads! Next!” Is that how you feel some days?

Old news? I hate to make you think, my friends, but do you realize you are “news” also, and you can be very good news to others, if you choose to be. You can be the one who looks at his work assignment and says: “How can we make this better”, and proposes or even just mentions to a co-worker or boss a new slant – perhaps they will think “Well that’s news.” Perhaps you can let the person cut in front of you on the expressway (who was going to anyway), and they might think: “Thank you.” Perhaps you might give the troubled adult or baby near you a hug and say “I love you”, and they might smile.

All these reactions will be “new news” to you, and make your day better. But think! All these things started out with you, things you did, not things that happened to you. You are important, even if you are sometimes bored with yourself. You DO make a difference in the world, so that it can make a difference to you. You can choose to set back and watch, and be bored, or you can live life. Really living life is acting toward, loving toward your neighbors. And it starts with you.

Never let yourself fall into a routine so much that you find yourself saying “That’s old news.” You are not! You are something entirely new and unique in this world. Let us see you. Let us see the new news of you.

I know I, for one, find you to be very interesting. And you make my day! No matter your age, you are not “old news.” You can make a difference in the life of everyone you meet.

Blessings to you, my friends. I pray you have a joyful and interesting day --- and that you smile! (You don’t want to make me have to come over there!!) : - ))

1 comment:

  1. Ha! You fooled me. I didn't know where you were going with this post, and then suddenly you turned a corner and surprised us with a new slant.

    It gave me a nudge because my husband, even with his diminished abilities, loves to bring cheer to others, by smiles, hugs or bending down to engage a child's attention.

    I will tell him that he is very good news to others. That way, I can be good news to him.
    Thanks for bringing joy to my day.

    ReplyDelete