Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 25 -- The Annunciation

Aha!

That was among my first thoughts today, as I finished my morning routine and left the house. Today is the Solemnity of the Annunciation, when Mary said yes to the Angel Gabriel, and Jesus was conceived within her. Aha! Today is Jesus’ real birth day! Today is the day he came to us, became a human being. And therefore, today, it is appropriate that we celebrate his birth. Hence, today I have a Real justification, to explain to my friends and neighbors, why my Christmas tree is still up in my living room. Today is the birth day of Jesus, so OF COURSE I’m still celebrating. : - ))

And in truth, I really AM celebrating this day, but the day became solemn as I entered the chapel for morning mass.

The relief of Mary on the wall, to the left of the large crucifix behind the altar, had three candles lit in front of it this day. In this particular church, named in honor of Mary, the lights were lit in front of this image of her, holding her baby child, to honor her and the Light which had come into the world. Today, her picture attracted my attention immediately. I DO think of her as my mother. Ah, my mother, I give you honor this day. If you hadn’t said yes to the angel, I know I wouldn’t be here to receive Jesus, my God! If you hadn’t said yes, I also know I wouldn’t be here this day at all. In giving you honor today for what you did for God, I also remember what you did for me.

All my life, in all my sin, I still prayed to you each night, and remembered what the nun had told me so long ago: “If you say three Hail Mary’s each night before you go to bed, Mary will never forget you.” I know neither you nor God are bound by such simple guarantees as this, but I did pray, and you didn’t forget: Thank you, mother. While you said “yes” to the angel, thank you for saying “yes” to me too, and calling me back to the Church of your Son when I strayed so far away. Your son opened the gates of heaven for me, but it was only by your intercession, I believe, that I again found the path to it. Words do not convey my gratitude, nor my love for you.


I thought of Mary’s honor during the mass this morning, and many of the words took on new meaning to me, and my heart was light – and my eyes often damp. My God, you are so good to me!

PENITENTIAL RITE: … and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.
GLORIA: … Lord God, heavenly King, almighty God and Father (And Father!!).
RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Here I am Lord; I come to do your will.
GOSPEL: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you! … Do not be afraid, Mary. … For with God nothing will be impossible.
CREED: … he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man (and then all in the church knelt in honor of her commitment – and His, just as we knelt at this point on Christmas Day) …
CONSECRATION: This is my body … (Heavenly Father, today especially, I thank you for this gift of your Son. I will never understand the depth of your sacrifice, to give me this gift, but I will be forever grateful.) … This is the cup of my blood … (Lord Jesus, you, a God, chose to be born like us, and to die like us. Thank you for your great love, of which I am so undeserving. And thank you for Mary, my mother through adoption – which you arranged. She has been so good to me.)
COMMUNION: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed.

After mass during a period of adoration, I thought of the scene again: Mary, Gabriel, Holy Spirit, Father, and Jesus. We’ve reflected previously on the importance of meditating on a whole gospel scene, and ALL the characters. I think we most often forget the Father in this scene. Mary conceives, yet we forget the Father. She didn’t do it alone. And like each father and mother on earth who gives life, they give it through the giving of themselves. While Mary said “yes”, so did the Father. The Father’s yes was to give Mary of himself a huge gift: his Son, a God!, whom he placed in her care. When she said “yes” and conceived, I’m sure the Father could be described to be as proud as any earthly father: A son, my son! My first born!! (If he could have given out cigars, I’m sure he would.) Jesus said: “Greater love has no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends” (Jn 15:12) – and He did. But if this is the greatest love that a man can give, what is the greatest love that a God can give?? I think perhaps this was it; and we celebrate it today.

The Lord said to me: “You are my Son.
It is I who have begotten you this day.
Ask and I shall bequeath you the nations,
put the ends of the earth in your possession.”
… Blessed are they who put their trust in God
.
- - Psalm 2

Today, through the few candles we light in front of Mary’s icon, we honor her and the entire Trinity of God. And you all know, all of you, what a great light burns in your honor in my heart.

Thank you, Mary. Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Holy Spirit. Thank you Father!

Happy Birthday!


P.S. As I slowly walked out of the chapel past the icon of Mary and Jesus, I noticed that his two small hands were clutching hers. So do I. And so do I.

P.S.P.S. Today my friend’s daughter will fly across the country to visit her. Separated at birth, through the daughter’s efforts they were re-united a few years ago. I think they will celebrate my friend’s birthday, which is next month, while she feels well enough today. Who knows what next month will bring. But today they will celebrate both of their lives, for truly both gave a gift of life to each other. And I somehow think it is fitting that they are getting together again on this feast day. A celebration of life, and of great gifts. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment