Saturday, March 20, 2010

Swamped

It's been a difficult week. Things were good; things were bad. Then good, bad, good, bad, bad, good. I started writing more than once, but realized the words were just my moaning, not inspiration for me, or you.

It's now a difficult weekend, and the health care vote is tomorrow. There are lots of things for me to pray about tonight at adoration.

Perhaps God'll help me make sense of this week and its problems, and I'll write on them then. For now, tonight I was reading through prior notes I had sent to a friend. This one gave me some peace about our present situation:


Orig: 07/01/08

Today's gospel reading:

And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, "Save us Lord; we are perishing." And he said to them, "Why are you afraid, O men of little faith?" Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. And the men marveled, saying, "What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?"
- Matt 8:23-27

Today's meditation:

My teenaged daughter is contemplating some changes coming in her life, and not happily. She's grieving a bit about what is being left behind, wondering what she'll be missing and what opportunities will pass her by. She's fearful about the new situation, unable to imagine that she'll be accepted or that she'll be anything but unhappy. If she had control, it wouldn't be this way, that's for sure.
I've tried to help her shift her thinking a little This is the way life is, I say. It changes and lurches in unexpected directions. There are, as the apostles discovered, storms.
Instead of regret and fear, maybe this is the time to nurture faith. Faith that no matter where we go, God is with us and God is working.
So perhaps instead of complaining, we could try asking a question: "Here we are Lord. I'm glad you're in charge and not me. What next?"
Lord Jesus, help me accept my situation and see your hand in it.
- Amy Welborn, Living Faith -- July 1, 2008

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Some weeks are like that. I hope you find a place of peace amidst the agonies.

    I pray you'll have insights during Adoration. This unrest you feel is probably an indication of God's loving discipline. Like the little flower said "Everything is Grace".

    May God's face shine on you.

    ReplyDelete