Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Where is Your Legacy?

This has been a difficult week. Hearing from friends and neighbors, it appears I am not alone in that evaluation. I've had some medical issues and been visiting the emergency room again -- it is NOT cool when they start knowing you on sight. Hopefully things will be cleared up with a procedure tomorrow. I hired a neighbor to cut my grass this summer, although certainly the Lord knows I need the exercise, but he needs the money -- out of work and a mom dying of cancer. Relative to exercise, my treadmill was read the last rites this week by the repairman, and it will not rise again.

My (God's??) ideas on writing some things seems to be stymied this week, but I just can't get it out of my head -- but I do have confidence He'll work things out one way or another. And finally, tragically, I have to report some really sad news: Christmas is officially over in my house. I took down the tree in anticipation of my nieces coming to stay with me this weekend for their gramma's birthday on Sunday. It's a sad thing to end that reminder of Christmas, but a joy at the same time -- they won't be harassing their uncle all weekend.

Meanwhile, I found this note I had sent to friends before I began this blog. It is worthwhile considering, in light of all of the things happening in our lives -- good and bad.


Orig: 11/29/07

Where is Your Legacy?

You... are a letter from Christ,... not on tablets of stone but on... human hearts. - 2Cor 3:3

We celebrated my parent's birthday by hosting a dinner for them with family and church members. During the reception, guests told how their lives had been touched by the gospel as shared by my parents. It was a gospel, these friends said, that was revealed by my parents' love, compassion, and generosity much more than through mere words.

As I listened to the heartwarming, sometimes tearful, remarks, I thought how great a treasure it is for any of us to know we have impacted another life! When it comes to lifetime achievements, the ones that will endure will not be the financial or material accomplishments but the living memorials -- men, women, and children whose lives are better because of what we have done. Maybe we taught someone to read or showed a neighbor how to grow things. Maybe we held someone who was broken with grief; maybe we showed others how to laugh at themselves. One way or another, we showed people our love. That's what the apostle Paul was saying to the Corinthians: you are my living legacy.

Where is your legacy? Will it be written only on a tombstone -- or on the hearts of men and women?

Lord Jesus, I want to leave a legacy that will not pass away. I want to lay up treasures in heaven where they will never become rusty.

Between Sundays Thursday, Week 26 - Shawn Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment