Sunday, May 30, 2010

As I Lay Dying

The final days we are able to spend with a friend, a parent, or a spouse are special days, a unique blessing for us. God has given us a time to be ever closer to them, intimate in our conversations, knowing they will be our last on this earth together. They are special days, as in unique, for if we use them well, we will be as close to our dear ones --- and God --- as we can be on this earth. It can be as deep a union as possible here, a foretaste of the eternal union we will share. Jesus promised this to us: We shall be one in Him. It is His eternal plan, which begins for us here on earth, but it will not end here for us, for: He goes to prepare a place for us.

Pat and I sometimes spoke during our trials: “If I should ever get to heaven …”, but it was in our joys that we spoke happily of: “Whichever of us gets to heaven first, will ….” These days, we speak more confidently about which of us that will be: Pat plans to enter a hospice program this week. Each day, each conversation may be our last --- here on earth. We used to meet on Tuesday afternoons to pray, and support each other in our trials, and to celebrate our victories. Now, I remind her, that we will no longer be restricted by this limited time and space --- and I plan to pester her for prayers anytime I am in need (which is often). “So you better not plan upon a perfectly quiet and peaceful heaven --- because I won’t leave you alone.” She laughed when I told her that, and we remembered other friends and family who over the years we’ve prayed for, and to. And then she said: “Well, you know I never did plan on just laying around and relaxing in heaven either. I plan on speaking to Jesus or His angels any time I see one of my friends wandering from the path down here, until we all meet again there. So if you stray, you’d better be expecting more lightning bolts --- or kicks in the pants --- to be hitting upon you than you ever felt before.”

And I laughed.

Pat and I these days speak honestly about our growing closeness, and our soon-to-be new relationship. And we say it and feel it in our prayers together. As we pray, it is me often voicing our prayer, and her silently saying it in her heart. This is the way it will be in the future. Tonight, and every night, as I say my rosary and meditate on its mysteries, I speak and feel as if it is us saying the prayers, reflecting on the mysteries, together, as we lay dying. (See the Glorious Mysteries post)

The sorrows and humility of this life are over. Now Glory! Like Jesus must have felt at His resurrection, soon we shall be able to say those words. No more sorrows; no more humility. Only love --- the only thing we will take with us from this life, love. But first we must face the real and spiritual burial of this life. Hail Mary, pray for us. That we might be raised.

You go to make a place for me; I stay in Your place here. Times up, Lord. I hope You have my place prepared, because I am ready for it! I’ve tried to be a good representative for You while here on earth; I hope our Father is pleased. My life has had many sorrows, most in truth, caused by me. But You know that: “Life is a trial,” and “No man is without sin” --- save one, of course, You. Now and at the hour of our death; no more sorrows, no more pain. I look forward to being with You, Lord. My journey here ends in the springtime of the year; an appropriate time, for it reminds me of You. I hear the birds singing. I hear the waiting choirs.

Lord, I need You with me; by myself I am so weak. These final days are ones of physical weaknesses, and I so hate to be a bother to hospital staff, and to my friends. I don’t want these distractions to be how they remember me. And I don’t want this old body’s weakness to distract me from you, either. When I call, but especially when I do not, Lord, be with me. I don’t want to die alone. Yea though I walk through the valley …, I shall not fear, for You are with me.

My Jesus, Who so loved me, Who I so love, I trust in You.

Lord, I believe You raised your own mother into heaven. You prepared a place for me; she prays I might take it. I prayed to Mary often in my life, asking for her to intercede for me. She knew very well the commandment You gave to us about mothers, and what it meant. You certainly did too; I rely upon that. Honor thy father and thy mother, that you might have eternal life. I do honor my Father, and also Mary, my spiritual mother. So, Lord, might I …?

I sometimes wonder how God can forgive me; but I know my mother does. Lord, you called on us to be as little children, and certainly when I am afraid, as I am now, I feel like a child. In my fear, like any child, I often turn to my mother. O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. I trust that You will hear Your mother’s prayers for me. My Jesus, I trust in You.

My Jesus, how glorious is Your love for us. As I lay dying, I reflect on all the wisdom and love you have given me over my life. It was good. Now with my friends and family around me, we celebrate that blessing together, here, one final time. But as for me, I feel I am looking backward upon them, and there, in front of me, is the next phase of my life, where: I look forward to praising You forever.

My Jesus, I trust in You.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have a friend so in tune with your own heart. What mixed feelings you both must share - knowing the one left behind will grieve, yet assured you'll be closer than ever before.

    I have such a relationship with my son-in-law Tim, who calls us Mom and Dad (his parents are both deceased) He's 57 now. He married our youngest daughter who is 50. They live about 10 minutes from us. She is our caretaker (Kathy) who burned out after the overwhelming events of 2009. Please remember her in prayer and ask Mary (as I do) to intercede as she struggles with her own conflictin emotions.

    I'm praying that Pat will have a happy death (as she most surely will) and that God's Will be accomplished in her and through her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story and this post are both so touching-thank you for caring for your mother and for Pat, and thank you as well, for sharing your story!

    I can greatly relate to the message on your sidebar "I feel compelled to write them even as I am sometimes compelled to sneeze. I can't stop it, and I don't know why." Must be the Holy Spirit inspiring you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful post. I can see (and feel) that through prayer and contemplation you have stripped away much of the veneer of life to expose the richness of true love. My prayers (hopefully!)rise up to Heaven for both you and Pat. Peace to you. k

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have so very few true friends in this life; each one who moves on will be missed.

    ME, you know I always pray for you and Clinton; I will be happy to add Kathy to my prayer list. I pray for all caregivers; we sometimes have a rough row to hoe, especially when we hit one of those rocks.
    Anne, I'm one of those people who feel uncomfortable getting presents or praise, but thank you for your comments. Yes, I write because I have to, and I've gained the same feeling in reading your posts. Unlike weeding the garden, however, this "have to" gives me joy, for it is a form of my praise to God.
    KAM, it's funny about the rosary meditations I wrote about a year ago, even though I use them most nights to say the rosary, they never seem to grow old; they always seem to talk to me about the life of Jesus or Mary, or enable me to speak to them about my life, or even to speak on behalf of a friend. For me, they were a gift that keeps on giving.

    Pat enters Angela Hospice this afternoon. With the ceasing of dialysis and heart medications, she likely will with us here for another week or two. Thank you for your prayers for her.

    ReplyDelete