Monday, May 17, 2010

For Pat

Psalm 71
You have stood by me, Lord, from my youth


In you, O Lord, I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame.
In your justice rescue me, free me:
pay heed to me and save me.

Be a rock where I can take refuge,
a mighty stronghold to save me;
for you are my rock, my stronghold.
Free me from the hand of the wicked,
from the grip of the unjust, of the oppressor.

It is you, O Lord, who are my hope,
my trust, O Lord, since my youth.
On you I have leaned from my birth,
from my mother’s womb you have been my help.
My hope has always been in you.

My fate has filled many with awe
but you are my strong refuge.
My lips are filled with your praise,
with your glory all the day long.
Do not reject me now that I am old;
when my strength fails do not forsake me.

For my enemies are speaking about me;
those who watch me take counsel together.
They say: “God has forsaken him; follow him,
seize him; there is no one to save him.”
O God, do not stay far off:
my God, make haste to help me!

Let them be put to shame and destroyed,
all those who seek my life.
Let them be covered with shame and confusion,
all those who seek to harm me.

But as for me, I will always hope
and praise you more and more.
My lips will tell of your justice
and day by day of your help
though I can never tell it all.

I will declare the Lord’s mighty deeds,
proclaiming your justice, yours alone.
O God, you have taught me from my youth
and I proclaim your wonders still.

Now that I am old and grey-headed,
do not forsake me, God.
Let me tell of your power to all ages,
praise your strength and justice to the skies,
tell of you who have worked such wonders.
O God, who is like you?

You have burdened me with bitter troubles
but you will give me back my life.
You will raise me from the depths of the earth;
you will exalt me and console me again.

So I will give you thanks on the lyre
for your faithful love, my God.
To you will I sing with the harp,
to you, the Holy One of Israel.
When I sing to you my lips shall rejoice
and my soul, which you have redeemed.

And all the day long my tongue
shall tell the tale of your justice:
for they are put to shame and disgraced,
all those who seek to harm me.

Psalm-prayer
Lord, God of the living, you give us lasting youth through the waters of rebirth, and happiness through the bread of life. Do not desert us when we are old, but help us to follow your will in both good times and bad, so that we may for ever praise your faithfulness.

Ant. Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

I intended to visit my friend, Pat, in the hospital this afternoon. I was told by her sister not to come. She was resting after bad news: the drugs treating her failing kidney and her failing heart were at odds, while helping one they were hurting the other. They stopped all treatments, including medication for her painful leg. What next, if anything, will be decided later today. I stopped at the chapel and read the above Daytime Prayer from the breviary. I believe if she were alert, Pat would have liked to have said it, so I said it for her. If you have a moment, I would appreciate it if you also offered up a prayer for this woman, this gift from God. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm lagging behind still, but I have prayed for Pat. I draw comfort from Ps.71. It pleads our case while affirming our continuing trust.

    God has trusted Pat with a heavy cross. I'll help you assist her in bearing all with intercessory prayer.

    ReplyDelete