Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Answer to Why

The Holy Spirit gives us the answers to those questions which the mind cannot answer because the mind invariably couples the word why with the word I. “Why must I endure this suffering?” “Why am I denied what others have?” “Why must I be the way I am, live the way I do?” These are some of the most essential and decisive questions in the life of the individual, and to those questions men and books remain silent. The true answer comes only when our heart is free from revolt and bitterness; when our will has come to terms with life as it is for us, recognizing in it the working of the will of God.

The intellect may acquiesce readily enough, but this is not sufficient. Instruction must go deeper; acceptance must come from our inmost heart. Only then will we find the answer to the why, and with it, peace, for truth alone brings peace. This is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer in Practice, ( 93-95), by Romano Guardini
(as quoted in Experiencing the Mystery of Christ, by Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel, C.F.R., & Gerard and Yolanda Cleffi)


When I read this rather succinct excerpt, I realized it summarized many of the thoughts (and posts) I have had in recent days. Much of our problems, and worries, stem from our concern about “why”, but we seek solutions, or to be truthful, just reactions, in the “I”. So often, “I” try to figure out things, when the truth is really to be found in the workings of the Holy Spirit, and the will of God in our lives.

So often I (get irritated and) try to figure out what I should be doing, when I should be trying to figure out what He is doing --- and even if I can’t, to accept it as His will. All bad things are not bad; we only see them as bad because we don’t really SEE them, see them with the eyes of the Holy Spirit. If we were able to see with His eyes, we would see the truth, and we would not worry so much about solutions we could create, for truth alone brings peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment