Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Closing My Eyes to See

Pat ended her vacation with us, and went home this evening.

She stayed with us a long time, and in truth at times we both thought about the adage: “After three days, both guests and fish begin to stink.” And some days were, well, pretty stinky ones at the end. But she remembered some days, oh, some days were so wonderful, so wonderful.

Pat saw so many wonderful things on this earth. She described to me the Florida Everglades and the Ding Darling Nature Reserve, the Rockies, Yellowstone, and the Painted Desert. She saw storms, yes, but also so many beautiful sunrises. And, although through a mist, everywhere, she saw God.

She loved to talk about all the heavenly things she had seen on earth, because in recent years she saw them not so well. Her eyes were just one of many things in her body slowly growing tired. Pain became more common than comfort.

She spoke no words as she peaceably left this life, but I suspect that if she could, she would have told us: “Goodbye; don’t grieve; I’m just going to close my eyes now, so that I can again see.”

And she would have smiled.

She will be missed.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Tom, how poignant. May her soul rest in peace through the Mercy of God. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I will introduce myself another time. For now...)

    Blessed and fruitful be memory of Pat in the lives with whom she shared love.

    In body, sometimes seeing interferes with seeing. May we close our eyes as well as open them, as we need.

    In Jesus' Most Holy Name I pray, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Maryellen and aspiring for your prayers.
    As I sat at Pat's side praying, I found great pleasure praying with and for a friend. I had forgotten the treasure there. In past years I had a weekly prayer meeting at my house with friends -- I gave them a key for those nights when I worked late, so the meetings would still go on. Then I got assigned overseas for a number of months, and they came to an end.
    I think I may try to start them again.

    ReplyDelete