Monday, June 28, 2010

Prophecy

I am not a prophet.

A dear friend wrote to me about my “Writing on the Wall” post: “This is a little curmudgeony!” I love her as close as a daughter and I know she means me well, but she did not understand the message I wrote. My dear friend didn’t see the connection between a city accepting TARP money for unnecessary construction and my example of Ford preparing for dire times. She looked on them as not-too-interesting stories, irritated commentaries from her crusty old dad.

I do not intend to waste your time and mine, my friends, with stories or rants. I write of things which have opened my mind; I offer them that perhaps they may open yours. It is why I suggest they are meditations, rather than “interesting” things. But yet I humbly admit, your mind may already be opened much more than mine; I am not a prophet, nor do I claim wisdom. I do not seek to convert you in any way to my thinking on any matter. I only say that my mind was opened by my thoughts, but, for all others who also may not have seen the connection I perceived in what I wrote, I offer this parable:

A disaster strikes a farming community; all the crops are wiped out by pests. The fields will yield no food. The farmers are shocked at what they see; this has never happened before; they can’t comprehend fully the disaster, the starvation which awaits them. And then a neighbor visits one of the farmers and brings over a large roast. The farmer stares at the roast incredulously and thinks: “What do I say and do now? Perhaps my neighbor who has never faced crop failure does not perceive the coming disaster --- should I politely refuse the roast, for surely he will need it in days ahead? Or shall I accept the gift and celebrate tonight, for surely we will both starve no matter what I do? Or do I take his gift and save it for myself, for when I am really starving?”

Now the farmer in this story is not a prophet. He just knows farming; by circumstances of life, that is what he is, and what he knows. I am a business and financial analyst by the circumstances of my life. Like the farmer who sees starvation coming, I see great financial difficulties for cities, states, and even our country coming. (Some people at Ford saw dire times coming.) The farmer was offered a gift he did not need --- right now --- even as my city was offered TARP money by the federal government. I didn’t tell you what the farmer did with the offer of the roast in my parable, but I believe he should have politely refused it. My city accepted the TARP money. (Ford refused bailout money.)

Now the farmer, despite all his experience may be wrong. Perhaps somewhere, somehow, there is excess food available which he may buy or be given --- although he knows of no such place. Perhaps his fields will miraculously be re-seeded and the plants will grow in record time so he still will have a needed harvest. Perhaps, but he views this as much less likely than gifts falling from the sky, or from other areas unknown. No, the farmer is not a prophet, but he can see the handwriting on the wall, and he will take whatever action he can to preserve what little food and money he has left. He will take actions he has never considered in the past. He will accept any offer of advice. (These are the type of actions Ford took.) And yes, if starvation has entered his household, he will even then accept the offer of food from his also starving neighbor. But not before.

I perceive, as the farmer does, that our cities, states, and country are facing down times. I see the writing on the wall, even as Ford did, as I wrote in my original post. Perhaps I do not know of aid to our governments to be had from across our borders or elsewhere; perhaps miracles might happen to save us, or ease the pains. I read much, to try to understand if perhaps I am wrong in my interpretation of the “handwriting” I see – there certainly are others more intelligent than I. I look for their wisdom. I read of some other Christians predicting that these are the end-times – Jesus speaks to them, they say; these writers trouble me because Jesus said in Scripture that only the Father knows the date of the end. I will think on all these things, but meanwhile, I will take action, even as I have described the farmer in the parable might do. Until I starve myself, I will offer a roast, while I have one, to my starving neighbor. I will offer advice on how he might delay disaster, or minimize its impact. And even if he says (perhaps in his ignorance; perhaps in his wisdom) that he needs none of these things, I will pray for him.

But I will not do nothing. I will not accept gifts which I do not direly need from those too blind to know they will need those gifts. I will not seek to take from my neighbor, but rather to give to him. And I fear whatever I do is wrong only if it is too little. (Mt 25:41-46)

I read this morning’s prayers:
Look kindly on all who put their trust in our prayers, fill them with every bodily and spiritual grace. Give us your Spirit, Lord.

Father, may everything we do begin with your inspiration and continue with your saving help. Let our work always find its origin in you and through you reach completion. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns forever with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I understood the 'writing on the wall' post. What I haven't figured out is if this 'daughter' is your spiritual daughter, or do you have a blood and flesh daughter or other children? Or is that too personal to ask? If so, just ignore my question and please forgive my boldness.

    Right thinking Americans were applauding Ford for their stance against a bail-out. The others look greedy by comparison. Yay for Ford. They did it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing in my life that I would not share, so your question is not too personal. I finally divorced in 1999, after being separated for about 15 years, waiting. God never gave me any children, but I have a lot of Godchildren.

    I have a close friend who age-wise could be my daughter, and our thinking on most matters is the same. She's my "adopted" daughter, and I get Father's Day gifts from her. She's one of a few people who sometimes call me in the middle of the night. Daughter, Godchild, friend, neighbor, I try to love them all. In some way they are each a special part of my life -- as you are, Maryellen.

    I'm thankful for all who visit here, comment here, offer advice here. I'm getting older, but I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete