Saturday, June 26, 2010

Writing on the Wall

I was stopped by construction this morning and, well, it irritated me. It caused me to drop yet another letter to the local newspaper editor. Considering the call here, to not be anxious over events, especially those over which we have no control, I think it appropriate I show you the letter. While we should not be anxious, God is in control, yet it points to just one example of how we SHOULD take actions.

I won't do any research on Scripture or the saints' writings to find appropriate supporting quotes, but suffice it to say that God does not expect us to TOTALLY rely upon Him; He does expect us to take action where we can. Sometimes we don't like to do that because it is hard, but He never offers us that excuse. Some things we have to do WILL be hard.


My letter:

I read about a charity that will pay for surgery to add an arm: get a new arm for free. It didn’t say it had to replace a defective one, so I’m thinking of applying and getting a third arm – I might be able to find a use for it. I mean, it’s free.

I feel the same way about that offer as I do about (my city) taking TARP money to build right turn lanes at (a local intersection). Someone just doesn’t get it, yet.

About 5 years ago at Ford we saw the writing on the wall and did a “cut 50%” exercise. We assumed we would have to cut 50%, and identified what would go in what priority, and what changes we would make to do (upon deep reflection) what had to be done with the remaining resources. The exercise did not allow: “That won’t happen,” or “You can’t do that,” or even “That will cost more than it saves.” No, the exercise was treated as: “Cut 50%, or your wife and children will die.” And so we came up with what would stop being done, and what priorities would change.

The results were put on a shelf. They were not a blueprint for what would later be done as cutbacks did come, but they were a starting point, hard thinking and long-term changes that had to be made. It helped to cut costs in an organized fashion, and correctly look at priorities.

Michigan, (my city), … America: You need to see the writing on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment