Monday, July 26, 2010

Guide Me; Take Me

Thank you, Jesus, for coming to me. I am so little, so unimportant, and yet You came to me. Stay with me, Lord, give this body your nourishment, your strength, your hope. Guide me through this life; show me the paths I should take so that I may never be alone again, never without You. And I will step out in confidence and peace, for You are there with me.

And when we reach that final turn, and our path here on earth ends, then you, O Lord, YOU step out, and in your Love and Mercy, take me with you, for I wish to be with you forever.

My Jesus, I need you, yes, but my Jesus, I want You.

My Jesus, I trust in you. My Jesus, I trust in you. Now and forever, My Jesus, I trust in you.



After saying the above, I read these words from Loving the Church, by Christoph Schonborn (pp 51-57):

We call divine providence the disposition by which God guides his creation toward this perfection. By his providence, says the First Vatican Council, God protects and governs all things which he has made. (CCC 302)

(St. Therese of Lisieux said): “Jesus needs no one to do His work.” But she also said: “He uses the weakest instruments to work wonders.”

Believing in the Creator also means believing in the great things he expects of his creatures. It seems to me that the deepest crisis in the Church today is that we no longer dare to believe in what God can do for the good with those who love him (cf Rom 8:28). … The chief reason why there is so much gloom around in the Church today is that we do not respond generously to the bold challenges of God and fail to let ourselves be used, with all we are and all we have, as his coworkers (cf. I Cor 3:9). The creature can never know a greater self-fulfillment than letting himself be totally used by God. (P 56)

By our actions, by the good works we perform, we can cooperate with God’s Providence. By our prayer we can work with God so that he does something greater than we could ever attain. “Why did God institute prayer? To give his creatures the dignity of causality” (Blaise Pascal).

Saint Thomas explains this in his long quaestio on prayer. There are things we can do because it is in our power to do them. There are other things that, though not in our power to do, can still be done by us when we ask that they be done by someone who can do them – petitionary prayer.

“The Creator of the universe awaits the prayer of a poor little soul to save other souls,” (St. Therese, the Little Flower).


Together, my friends, we can make ANYTHING happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment