Monday, August 2, 2010

Mr. Brown Thumb



Sorry to waste your time with nonsense, but we have enough worries; good cheer is never out of place. This plant, which usually resides in my front room window was put out on the back deck for the summer, and hasn’t bloomed in two years – nor did I notice any buds before I left on Friday morning. Yet when I went out this afternoon I found this. Guess who else had a good weekend? (It apparently didn’t miss Mr. Brown Thumb.) Its last blooming was the first time in about 5 years or more, and I wrote about it then, calling it a hyacinth --- much to the razzing of friends. I’m not sure what it is. Perhaps a Rose of Sharon, or some type of lily??

The garden also did well this weekend. The butternut squash plant vines grew another 4 feet as they raced down the length of the garden. They’ve reached the turning point, so I’ll point them East for another 15 feet or so. If they are still in a racing mode after that, I’m afraid the tomato plants will have to hurry and turn their fruit red, before they’re dwarfed by the huge squash leaves. Meanwhile, the eggplants are about 9 inches to a foot long (the plants are over 4 foot high) and are beautifully shaped. Fried eggplant and eggplant lasagna will be on the menu starting this week. And the late night and mid-afternoon snacks will start to be fried green peppers, lots there. Yummy.

One of the tomato plants was so heavy with fruit (?) that it tipped its trellis over. I added a stake to put it back upright, but I’m glancing at the amount of harvest vs my amount of containers and wondering: Tomatoes anyone? (At least I learned my lesson and never plant zucchini any more.)

Hope your week is starting as well as mine, my friends. (Sorry for those of you who may be glancing at this at work --- get back to work! Nights are still long; there’ll be time enough to relax when you get home.)

Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! My most humble apologies, sir, both for the taking of your name, and in an implied disparaging way at that! You may rest assured, that I always try to avoid taking the name of important people in vain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete