Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Road to Church



The sunflowers are in bloom along both sides of the road leading to my church. They’re beautiful in the morning. And at night, as I leave the adoration chapel I turn on my bright lights, and there in the field of flowers across the road I see from five to ten sets of eyes reflecting back at me, deer sampling the sunflower seeds.

On the way to church as I see the sunflowers it is easy to begin to pray: Oh eternal Son, brightness of my life, light up this day and our time together.




And across the street from the church I see the cows relaxing in the field. And I pray: “ ……,” well, I dunno, I guess I don’t pray anything, but I usually say: “Hello cows. How are you this morning?”

They tend not to answer though.

I’m not exactly sure how this rates as a religious experience, but somehow I think it does, and relative to this blog, it does make me less anxious.

And then I enter the church to speak to the master and creator of all these beautiful things.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this would rate as a religious experience. My family and I went to the State Fair a few days ago, and as we were wandering through the cow barn (I love cows!), I was drawn into prayers of gratitude for the beauty of this animal that others fail to find so lovely. I'm sure that whatever draws us to prayer counts as a religious experience, even saying hello to cows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. I don't know I would go so far as to say I love cows, Anne. Does your family know you think this way? (Just a hint, but perhaps you should keep it a secret.)

    But I am glad you can appreciate the feelings that come over me. Sometimes things like this -- just "good" things -- are hard to express in words. They are not like blessings given, they are just blessings of being. I think the fact that we can appreciate these things is an indication what we can appreciate/understand the one who made them. And that definitely IS a good thing.

    ReplyDelete