Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Caught in Time

When I felt compelled to go on my pilgrimage to the small village in Yugoslavia in 1987, a number of profound changes occurred there in my very being; most of which are beyond description. That’s the way it is deep conversions. One of the things which happened, however, was my becoming firmly aware that during the Catholic mass, at the point of consecration, Jesus is present on that altar in front of me. My God has come to my presence. I know non-Catholics don’t believe that is so, indeed many Catholics don’t either. They say it is a matter of faith, a faith they don’t have. At one point I didn’t either, not really. But in that village, my FIRM understanding changed. I KNEW. That sure knowledge of the God of all Creation coming to me was awesome. I could never forget the moment I understood and believed that. Laugh and call what happened to me anything you wish, but I am not a stupid man, nor one easily fooled, and I KNOW. I’ll let the Church and the theologians explain why it is so, but I KNOW.

The Jews were blessed to be the chosen people. God saw the trust of Abram and greatly blessed him and his children for all time, but the Jews, Abraham’s children, so easily were caught up in the cares of the world, and they forgot God’s importance. So God gave the Jews His commandments to teach them how to love Him and all His earthly children, and the Jews were much better at remembering and following these rules. But still over time they forgot.

It was when God sent his Son, Jesus however, that things became most clear to us weak men; God saw to it that we would never forget again. Jesus simplified the commandments; he gave us concrete examples of how this human life should be lived, and most importantly, God directed that Jesus shall never leave us again. The God of Abram was heard, but forgotten; the Commandments were written in stone, but stored away and not thought about, but Jesus, although risen bodily into heaven, would always stay with us in the Eucharist, so that we might never forget His love.

When the host is solemnly raised at the consecration and the words of Jesus repeated: “This is My Body,” I now know that Jesus is present, but I’ve come to think at that moment not of Jesus, but of His Father in heaven. The words said at that moment can easily be imagined as also being said by His Father. In love, I believe they are. Even as we are making this offering, in elevating the Host, of the Son to the Father, the Father can also say He is making an offering to us of His Son, a gift to us: “This is My Body.” For a God to give us such a gift, His Son, has no words for comparison.

Heavenly Father, I thank you for this gift of your Son. You love me that much! I need Him with me. I want Him with me, so much! Glory and praise be to You, for your great love.

Moments later as the chalice is raised: “This is My Blood,” I hear His words and think of the gift of Jesus to me.

Lord, thank you for this great gift of Yourself. I want you to stay here; I want you with me, now and always. Come with me, be with me, and teach me as you taught the Apostles. Thank you for your love.

Jesus rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven. But in the wisdom of the Godhead, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, He still stayed here. He stayed here in the Eucharist because he loved us; He stayed here because He knew we needed Him.

Time here on earth is like but a second in eternity. We stare at the dial on our watch, tick, and it is gone never to return. Such is our life, and such was even Jesus’ life here on earth. But unlike any other human being, God in His love and mercy directed that Jesus, through his being in the Eucharist, never leave us. All humans move on from this time into eternity, where time is no more. Only Jesus, in the Eucharist, stays here forever more, caught in time. He is God not just speaking, as to Abram, not just giving instruction, as the commandments, but living with us always. Greater love than this no man has than to lay down his life for a friend. We and all our friends will one day leave this earth. Only Jesus lays down his life here, in this great humility, for a God to be present for us, forever.

Once I knew, how could I ever forget this?

1 comment:

  1. As I read your post the thought came to me that, when I'm gone, jesus will still be here, no matter where I am. I guess I've always just thought that I had sole possession of Him, for some reason. He's been with us for 2'000+ years, and I'm going to take Him with me? What???
    Just the part of the Mass you brought up in your post, what a mystery! We could ponder it forever and never come closer to understanding it. Perhaps only our heart understands it for sure. k

    ReplyDelete