Monday, October 11, 2010

Lord, Satisfy My Desires

We possess many things, but they are not enough; we need more. The (9th and 10th) commandments hurt; they tell us that in the eyes of God, our hunger is wrong, that our desire to possess everything is somehow inappropriate. Perhaps God doesn’t understand … we’re only trying to fill the emptiness, after all.

But neither things nor other people that we reduced to the status of things can ever fill the emptiness that exists at the center of each soul. We are not made to own things; we are made to own eternity. We hunger for the Eternal One who made us. We are tormented and empty without Him, so we try to find a substitute.

One alone can fill our emptiness. To Him we must say with all our heart, “In Your will is my peace.”

Father, I want too much. I want things to own and people to love me. I want security and abundance, happiness and youth and health, and a thousand other things. I can’t stop wanting. Give me the gift of satisfaction, Father. Let me be content with what I have, which is Your endless love. Quiet the yearnings of my heart and permit me to contemplate the truth of the matter: that I am already rich beyond all description. Amen

Life in Christ, by Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel (Meditation thirty five)

3 comments:

  1. What a small world! The deacon at my parish told the exact same story to begin his homily! It is very fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world that we see, that is all around us, this secular world, is so far from Gods' ideals that, for me, I can't even think about it too much. I lived 50 years, 30 as an adult in this world and I'm tired of it. These last five I've given to Our Lord. Oh, I still live in it and as a Secular Franciscan I'm called to embrace it and I do, mostly, sometimes...I guess...but not very well. I can hear where you are coming from.
    'One alone can fill our emptiness.' I really like that. Just saying it in my mind gives me peace. Thanks. k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I think you meant your comment for the prior post, yet another example that I write (and think) too much --- but I can't help it! Especially on quiet weekends with mom.

    KAM, I am reading a simple, yet disturbing (so far) book called Happy Are You Poor, by Thomas Dubay. Pewspective commented on it, and a friend and I are reading a couple short chapters a week and discussing. The central question is: What is the idea of Gospel poverty? I had some of my own thoughts on "How much do I help my fellow man?" a few posts ago. It is a very troubling subject. I expect this Dubay book may help clarify many things for me. Pewspective indicated it troubled her; I expect to find a peace. Even the title gives me a peace, it's not about how much I must work for the poor, but a reminder: Happy are YOU poor. They are (or can be) happy without my weak efforts at living the gospel.

    The chapters are very short; perhaps you might like to read this one also. If not, I expect you'll see some comments on it here at some point.

    ReplyDelete