Thursday, October 21, 2010

Prayers For You

I couldn’t sleep tonight. I think I’m to pray for someone. I think I’m to pray for you.

My prayer book is old. Over the years I have underlined things which “speak to me”. As I prayed tonight some of those prayers, the underlined portions all spoke to me again. I offer those prayers today, for you.

Give me the wisdom and love necessary.
He has mercy on those who fear him in every generation.
The word of the Lord is a strong shield for all who put their trust in him.
Today, listen to the voice of the Lord: Do not grow stubborn, as your fathers did.

From St. Augustine: Power shines forth more perfectly in weakness. These words are written to prevent us from having too great an opinion of ourselves if our prayer is granted, when we are impatient in asking for something that it would be better not to receive; and to prevent us from being dejected, and distrustful of God’s mercy toward us, if our prayer is not granted, when we ask for something that would bring us greater affliction, or completely ruin us through the corrupting influence of prosperity. In these cases we do not know what it is right to ask for in prayer. Therefore, if something happens that we did not pray for, we must have no doubt at all that what God wants is more expedient than what we wanted ourselves.

This is the one whom I approve: the lowly and afflicted man who trembles at my word.
From the depths of my heart I cry to you; hear me, O Lord.
I will do what you desire; hear me, O Lord.
Accept our intentions and our work today.
Give us strength to be patient with those we meet today, and so imitate you.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Tom! I'll take those prayers, I can use them today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prayers are much appreciated.

    A beautiful reflection on top of it, also. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Anne and Jordan. I don't know why that happens on occasion, but I really trust my feelings when I feel called to pray. Only once, though, has God chosen to give me the consolation to know WHY I was to pray just then. A number of years back I was on the road, traveling on business, and I stopped at a church to pray. Walking out I felt strongly that I should light a candle and pray for someone who needed my prayers, so I did. When I got back to town I found out that a co-worker's little baby was found dead in the morning --- at about the same time I was lighting the candle.

    God does work in ways we don't understand, but he does hear our prayers. Of that I am most confident.

    ReplyDelete