Friday, January 7, 2011

Whispers


I came out of church and began the drive to the coffee shop this morning. In my mouth I still tasted the communion host, and said again: “Thank You, Lord, for being with me.”

The car was quiet. I turned on the CD and the haunting words of an unfamiliar song rang out: For I am captured one more time. …..And I thought again, “Thank You, Lord, for being with me.” And I smiled as the music softly played out the songs end.

God speaks to me, instructs me, and loves me in so many ways, if I but listen. He speaks to me so loudly sometimes, if I am but open to hear Him. He gives me so much love that I naturally want to reach out and share it with others, if I am first open to receive it.

What I taste, what I hear: He whispers to me.

He whispers to you also, if you would but taste, and listen to His goodness.


The work of God in its daily manifestations is often treated by many Christians as Jesus Christ was treated by the Jews

What we really want to do is restrict His work so that it conforms to the rules and boundaries that our limited reason considers suitable.
You would be very ashamed if you knew what the experiences you call setbacks, upheavals, pointless disturbances and tedious annoyances really are.
Nothing happens to you except by the will of God, yet His beloved children curse it because they do not know it for what it is.

---- Abandonment to Divine Providence, by Jean-Pierre de Caussade

5 comments:

  1. Oh, excellent, excellent! Is it something in the air, is that why similar thoughts are dancing around? He really does whisper to us, and If we're walking with Him, He doesn't have to shout. A great no-nonsense post. Thanks. k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I read Abandonment to Divine Providence a few years ago-I think that's one I'm going to have to put on my "to purchase" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed what I felt. But no one commented on the picture of the adoration chapel I visit a couple of times a week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful Adoration Chapel! Question: Is it always so bright or was that the flash?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taken at about 1AM, it's the flash. One of the other things I like about the chapel is that it sets behind the altar and straight behind where I took the picture is a large glass window. The small road leading up to the main entrance, on the opposite side of the church, passes by the chapel, and you can look in and see the monstrance on the altar as you drive by. On evenings or early mornings, when it is lit against the darkness, I always stop and say a prayer before I drive on. The Light of the world shines, and I look in.

    ReplyDelete