Monday, June 25, 2012

Killing (Some) Babies Is Illegal in Michigan

My friend called me in the middle of the night:  "I think there is a raccoon in my attic.  What do I do?"  I told her to drink a glass of wine to help her get back to sleep; there was nothing she could do in the middle of the night.  The next morning we discussed options on exterminators to call.

She called me back this afternoon and announced:  "I've got bats in my belfry."  My response to that was: "I know," but she ignored my comment and went on to tell me that the scratching she heard was bats walking around in her attic.  The exterminator had seen them, their "droppings" and where they apparently got in.  But then my friend dropped the bombshell:  "He said there is nothing I can do about them."

In the state of Michigan bats are a protected species during the months when they are having baby bats.  During June and July in Michigan, under law the exterminator cannot kill, capture, nor disturb bat nesting places or potential nesting places.  Human babies can and are being killed every day in Michigan, but it is illegal to kill bat babies, because that would be cruel.

I'd like to think there is hope for our country, and that things are getting better, and then I hear stories like this.

And while my friend can't DO anything about her problem for a couple of months, I don't even know what to begin to pray for about the situation! 

She wondered if she could take a tax deduction for running a wildlife sanctuary in her house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment