Friday, March 8, 2013

Just WHO is to be Loved?



More numerous than the hairs on my head
Are those who hate me without cause.  (Ps 69)
And many are those with good reason, too!
Just who is supposed to be loved and adored, according to Scripture?  How did we ever get the idea it’s us?  The great commandment is to “Love God, with all your mind, and all your heart, and all your soul, and your neighbor as yourself.”  How is it that we hear: “You shall love YOURSELF with all your mind, heart, and soul, and God and neighbor?”  How did we get to be first, and we so often might even quote Scripture to justify our pride?  Is this what our parents taught us?
- - - - - - - - - -
I read that psalm line and wrote those words before mass this morning.  And then I quickly scribbled some further notes, on other things I wanted to go on to say, such important things, I thought.  And then I finished my morning prayers, and mass began. 
And the Gospel was read:
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.  (Mk 12:30)
I first heard that Scripture in my heart this morning, and I began to write, and made notes on what I needed to write further about what I thought important so I could say what I felt needed to be said.  And so God said it again to me, because apparently I didn’t get it the first time, or at least I didn’t retain it in my heart.
Love God.  Hear His words.  That’s all.  And then I began to make my plans, putting myself first.  Better still I should have said: “Speak Lord, your servant is listening.” 
And so I’ll stop here.  That’s enough to meditate upon, His words, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment