Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What Colleges Are Teaching Your Children



The DVD which the men’s group watched this morning had a college professor speaking about early Church history.  I wasn’t paying particularly close attention his words, as I (rightly or wrongly) felt I was pretty familiar with the topic, but then he said something which, to me, sounded like fingernails squeaking on a blackboard:  “This event happened in the year 440 of the Common Era.” 
Perhaps my emotions were more on edge because of my recent dream experience about college professors (the topic of my last post), but the term “Common Era” always has irritated me.  Dreamt up by college professors, the designation of CE and BCE to replace AD and BC are blatant advertisements of 1) I don’t accept that Christ (or God) was the center of any history, and 2) I will teach this in my classroom, and you WILL also designate history in these terms, OR ELSE! 
All I can think of to say about such men (without calling them names) is: What arrogance!
I know there are exceptions, but I have personally met many college professors (and even have a few as friends), and I have read about the feelings of many others, and the word “arrogant” does adequately summarize their worldview.  Because they have some extensive KNOWLEDGE --- often on only a single subject --- they believe they have WISDOM, and they preach on worldviews often far beyond their designated area of instruction.  This example of their refusal to recognize terms used for centuries, to recognize that Jesus Christ WAS an important turning point in history, is a refusal to recognize the wisdom of the ages.  And if relegating the billions who have lived before you as ignorant compared to you isn’t arrogance, then I don’t know what is.
Most college professors these days believe they have every right to expound their view of truth to the young minds they are charged with.  They seek not to form them into thinking minds, but to form minds which think like them.  While blatantly ignoring or denigrating God, they act as if they were gods.  Like gods, they view themselves as on a creative mission, not to create something out of nothing, but to mold young minds into their view of wisdom.  They can’t understand that Wisdom is Truth, and Truth is Beauty, and so they look at the minds they have molded as their masterpieces, not seeing how warped they really have become.
In their wisdom, they were ignorant.  They saw as beautiful what they themselves were, even as Lucifer did.  And they sought to lead others astray to their way of thinking.
Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.  (Mark 9:42)
just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them  (2 Peter 2:1)
If you can’t accept these words as reasonable, if you can’t take the time to research on this topic yourself, then at least take the time to watch the movie, EXPELLED, by Ben Stein.  I write these simple words to demonstrate a simple example of who we are sending our children to be educated by, and an indication of what they will become --- which is why I also seek to promote a true Catholic college education, to create true THINKING minds in our youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment