Sunday, August 11, 2013

Thank You

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.
Regardless, time marches on.


It’s been a busy month since mom died, and among the last things to get done is to send out these thank you notes.  At first it was a busy time, as we made arrangements and held mom’s funeral the week after she died, and then later that same week, she was laid to rest in Wisconsin next to dad.  My three nieces flew into town from out West, and were a great help to me in everything.
The number of friends who came for mom’s funeral totally surprised me.  I didn’t know I mattered so much to so many.  Your wanting to share in my grief was appreciated beyond any words I could write here.  Your prayers and donations in mom’s memory are part of her legacy, and mine, caring for others.  And I especially appreciated all the many masses being offered for her.  And I know she does also.
Arrangements are underway to sell mom’s home in Wisconsin, and I expect assessments to be complete this week.  Then I will offer it first to the neighbors who cared for the property these last seven years, and if they decline to two other neighbors who mentioned they were interested --- and as a last resort, I will list it with a realtor.  The property is so beautiful (and the fishing so good), I don’t expect to have any trouble selling it --- with much regret, and with fond memories.
The picture above is a beautiful planting recently completed in the nearby town of Plymouth, Michigan. The town has large planters throughout, which are planted each spring by individuals and businesses, and then maintained by the town.  I partnered with a local nursery which, for each of the next five years – at least, will design and plant flowers (with an emphasis on purple, mom’s favorite color) in her memory.  It’s a much more meaningful thing for me to do than putting flowers on her gravesite in Wisconsin, and I can walk past the site and think on her and the good times we had together.
If tears could build a stairway,
and memories a lane,
I’d walk right up to heaven,
and bring you home again.
She will always be in my prayers, as shall all you kind and wonderful friends.  Thank you so much.
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment