Monday, April 28, 2014

His Mercy Endures Forever



Yesterday the Catholic Church celebrated a feast day which was begun by Pope John Paul II:  Divine Mercy Sunday, now always designated the first Sunday after Easter.  How this day came about is a great blessing for mankind, a gift from God.  He Himself asked that we celebrate the day.
The depths of the story of Divine Mercy, and the phrase associated with it that I so treasure --- Jesus, I Trust in You --- I leave for others to expand upon.  I just wanted to record these thoughts for my own memory, for those days which will come when I might more easily forget, how blessed I am.  On some of those days, I pray, I might look back on these words and recall, and give thanks for two things:
1 
             1)  Pope John Paul II reigned as pope for a long time and did many wonderful things for God and for His Church --- and for His world --- but perhaps none was more wonderful than setting aside this feast day, forcing us to remember and focus on God’s Divine Mercy, which we so easily forget.  And it is most fitting that JPII be declared a saint by the Church on this day.
2         
2) Even as he is elevated to sainthood, even as I have taken to saying a prayer to my friend, Karol, each day, I must remember to keep his greatness in perspective.  Even as Sister Faustina and Pope John Paul II reminded us of Divine Mercy, it was there long before either of them.  THAT is the great thing.  I was reminded of this as I read this Evening Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours, written long before a Divine Mercy Sunday was ever declared:
Once you were no people, but now you are God’s people;
Once there was no mercy for you, but now you have found mercy.

--- 1Pt 2:10
This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad.  Alleluia.
- - - - - - - - - -
Yesterday I attended the graduation of one of my Godchildren from Eastern Michigan University, while at the same time his brother (also my Godchild) was graduating from the University of Michigan --- both with honors.  In June, another Godchild will graduate from high school, and yet another will celebrate her 50th birthday!!!  Yes, I have many things to rejoice about; I see reminders everywhere.  God is merciful.

No comments:

Post a Comment