Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Sounds of Mercy



No, I don’t know what mercy itself sounds like, but this morning I experienced mercy, and sounds were an integral part.  As I knelt in Christ The King Church, on the campus of Franciscan University in Stuebenville, Ohio, the student choir filed in and lined up near me.  They then sang some hymns with what I could only describe as heavenly voices --- surely the choirs of angels could not do better than what I heard --- and felt.  And I felt Him to Whom they gave praise.
As I read this morning’s Readings, from Paul’s letter to the Colossians (3:1-7), some of the words spoke clearly to me, and I wanted to make note of them now.
·         When Christ our life appears, then you shall appear with Him in glory
·         Put to death whatever in your nature is rooted in earth:  fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desires, and that lust that is idolatry.  These are the sins which provoke God’s wrath.  Your own conduct was once of this sort, when these sins were your very life. You must put that aside now:  all the anger and quick temper, the malice, the insults, the foul language.
·         Put on a new man, one who grows in knowledge.
·         Clothe yourselves with heartfelt mercy, with kindness, humility, meekness and patience.  Bear with one another:  forgive whatever grievances you have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord has forgiven you.
·         Over all these virtues put on love. … Christ’s peace must reign in your hearts.
·         Dedicate yourselves to thankfulness.
·         In wisdom made perfect, instruct and admonish one another.
·         Whatever you do, whether in speech or in action, do it in the name of the Lord Jesus.  Give thanks to God the Father through Him.
There are many more thoughts I need to document, regarding Divine Mercy and this week, and this past weekend’s conference I attended here at Franciscan University, but I must hit the road home now.  These words and theire meaning will mean more, when I link them to my thoughts and experiences of this past week, but for now I am content to remember the great love and peace I felt this morning --- and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment