Wednesday, August 23, 2017

A Gathering of Friends



On Sunday afternoon, Greg and Judy invited some of their friends and relatives to their summer home on the lake, including me.  Everyone brought food, and all of it was wonderful --- lots of recipes were exchanged.  Our hosts played hosts, as Greg captained excursions on the pontoon boat while Judy played Mary, cooking and cleaning, yet still took time to be Martha at the feet of her guests.
And much of the afternoon was spent in “Sunday talk,” about God in our lives.  It was a wonderful exchange, and wonderful for so many to witness God’s love of them.  Everyone is called to grow in holiness their whole life, so it is natural that some would be more and some still less in their growth, but most of this group was elderly in the faith, and were able to exchange thoughts readily understood and appreciated by all.  There were no words of “Wow, wasn’t that a coincidence” when miracles were described.  Rather, there were many sincere “Praise God’s” exclaimed.  And although the guests were not close friends --- some only knew each other through the hosts --- yet they still loved one another.  The day felt so right, a perfect use for a Sunday afternoon, a gathering of faithful friends, faith-filled friends.
Among those present were some recent converts, sponsored in the RCIA program by Greg and Judy.  Younger people with their children, much of their day was spent being parents, yet they too yearned to spend time in conversation on spiritual matters.  (Two of them rode home with me, and we had further interesting conversation on the drive.)
The day started with prayer, and was a wonderful day.  I think that I too shall plan a gathering soon of special faith-filled friends in my life, to celebrate all God’s blessings I have through my friends.  I think coming together to celebrate God’s goodness to us is a good thing, and a good reason.
Looking back on Sunday, there is only one thing which could have made the day more perfect.  During the end-of-the-day exchanging of plates, recipes, and leftovers --- and hugs --- we could have again held hands and closed in a prayer of Thanksgiving.
I said mine tonight, as I recalled these events.
- - - -- - - - - -
Then all my gladsome way along,
I sing aloud thy praises,
That men may hear the grateful song
My voice unwearied raises;
Be joyful in the Lord, my heart,
Both soul and body, bear your part;
To God all praise and glory.
- - - - - - - - -
These gatherings on earth are wonderful, of young and of old, gently blowing on the sparks of faith, and stoking the flames of trust.  How I pray that we may see, together, such a gathering again, with our Eternal Host.

No comments:

Post a Comment