Monday, October 23, 2017

Halloween --- All Hallowed's Eve



Amidst all the candy, ghouls and, of course, zombies, we often forget the source of the word Halloween, and what it is meant to celebrate --- those great people who walked before us; it’s a time meant to celebrate and remember them.
I was reminded of that three times recently (there’s that magic number again).  First, the lady at the 7-11 store told me of how her daughter greatly enjoyed a cemetery tour in her home town.  My eyes rolled at the thoughts of a scary tour, but she described how the tour led to tombstones where people described who was buried there, and how they made a difference in their city, their church, and their families.  They described people worth remembering, and imitating.  I was impressed!
Later that week, I attended the retirement dinner of a man who started a charity which counseled troubled youths, and who was celebrated by the courts for turning around young lives.  There, at the dinner, were many adults (and their children) who gave praise to the retiring man: “You saved my life.”  And I was impressed!
And finally, I heard the priest on Friday lament how there were four funerals in the parish this week.  “They were all wonderful people, and their families and this church family will miss them greatly.”  And I was again impressed!
And so, I called my local historical society, which I had just joined this past summer, and described the three events (at some length) and then suggested: “I think you/we should start such tours of our local cemeteries, celebrating and remembering the great people of our community.”  The historical society director listened to my long explanation and request before responding: “It IS a great idea --- we do it twice a year, including October, and it is sold out each time within 24 hours.  Thanks for your suggesting new ideas; please don’t stop.  We’re happy to have you as a member of the society.”
And I was humbled.
In recent years God has shown me many miracles and, I think, has put before me things He would have me do.  But it’s easy to get a big head.  Just because the boss hands you some key problems to solve, it’s easy to think we’re his righthand man.  I think the word to describe such thinking is pride.  I know I’ve described how I pray the Prayer for Humility each night, yet still, sometimes it seems God must bop me on the head to actually make me feel humility.  And, you know, it feels kinda good.  I guess I’ll take His attention any way I can get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment