Sunday, November 19, 2017

Review: A Season of Grace



The subtitle of this book is:  Embracing God’s Gifts in the Autumn of Our Lives.
This is Carolyn Bassett’s first book.  It’s timing is perfect for me, and many in my life.  The book consists of 75 short meditations --- 2 pages each --- and closing prayers.  The meditations are on the life experiences of herself or those she met, and the meaning of those experiences, the deep meaning.  Unlike other books of this ilk, almost every one of her meditations evokes memories in me, which causes the prayers to be read with deep sincerity.  She writes of God’s love, family, celebrations, and life’s sharing of experiences and memories.  And she addresses sadness, loneliness, suffering and dying.  Her positive meditations on all these situations end with confident prayers to God.
·         Father, regardless of what trials I may endure, you promise that you will never leave me or forsake me.  I embrace your love ...

·         Father, your faithfulness toward me brings me joy and peace.  Help me be faithful in turn to the people in my life.

·         Father, your mercy knows no limits.  Help me to grow in mercy and to be more effective in supporting others close to me.

·         Father, thank you for all the people in my life.  Help me to stay engaged, even when I am not feeling well.

·         Lord, you know what concerns I have about the future.  Help me to work through them with great hope, no matter what the circumstances may be.

This is a book for anyone over the age of 60, for caregivers, and for those despairing of any age.  In every life there is hope, there is reason, there is value.  These meditations open your heart to the fact that you are not walking alone.  Many will receive this book for Christmas from me, and copies will always be on my bookshelf for those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment