Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving Blessings



Morning mass time had changed, at the church I usually attend while on vacation here in Arizona.  I arise early and so sought an earlier mass than the 8AM one at the local church.  Most other churches offered nothing earlier, but one I had never visited offered a 6:30A, and so I went there.
As I arrived at 6, a group was already saying a rosary, and nearly 100 showed up for the weekday mass.  I thought I might also visit this church’s adoration chapel, and so asked someone after mass for the passcode to enter.  At first no one did, but finally someone knew it, but then we realized we had no pencil, so stopped someone else to borrow that.  Then I went to my car and back to the hotel for the complementary (included in the outrageous price) breakfast.
That night I went to the beautiful adoration chapel I usually attended when visiting, but realized I had forgotten my prayer book in the car.  I did without it that night, said my prayers, and again went back to the hotel.
The next morning, arriving for the 6:30A mass, I realized I didn’t have my brievary prayer book.  I searched the car thoroughly.  So, when I went into the church I thought I might find it laying on the table where we had been exchanging info the day before.  It was not.  After mass I found the lost and found table; it was not there, either.  So, I went back to the hotel, expecting a call after someone found the book and my address and phone number inside.  No one called.
Time spent here with my nieces was delightful, as always.  I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family.  We played cards each night, and sampled the wine I had sent. 
The next morning there was still no prayer book at the church, and I again searched my car, to no avail.  That night --- last night --- more relatives were over, and the card games got bigger and louder.  And fun.  And late.  So, heading back to my hotel I decided to skip my evening prayers, saying a shorter version in the car as I drove back.
This Thanksgiving morning, I intended to visit the usual church I visit when down here for Thanksgiving Day mass.  But my rental car had other ideas --- or rather my senility put me into an automatic mode, heading for the church where I had attended the 6:30A masses.  Oh well, I thought, maybe God wants me to find my prayer book there this day, so I continued on my way.  Once there, I decided to search the car again --- and there, under the passenger seat found my lost prayer book.  But I KNOW I had searched there twice before.  So, I asked: “Lord, what is it You would have me do?”
I enjoyed my morning prayers, and gave sincere thanks, to God and St. Anthony and all the saints I had appealed to.  My prayer book is over 25 years old, and has many personal notations and prayers in it.  And I read some of the prayers I had not said last night, when I skipped my evening prayers.  And then I felt an urge to give one of the prayer books to one of the visiting relatives I had played cards with last night.  I don’t know why God seemed to be asking me this; she did not seem a particularly religious woman.  But before I could think or pray on it much, I noticed the title of the book again.  The first letters of the title words spelled out the woman’s name.  So, I’ll give it to her this afternoon.  And I WILL stop for night prayers on the way back to the hotel tonight.
Tomorrow I head back home.  It has been a pleasant time here (although it is supposed to be 90 degrees today!!).  I am so blessed.  Even when bad things seem to happen to me; I see good.  I guess that is a side benefit of trusting in God.  I know my prayer was that if I had truly lost my prayer book, never to be returned, then I trusted that God had a better use for it.  I know I can always trust Him to find a better way than my way.  And that makes thanksgiving come easier.
I pray your Thanksgiving Day is a blessing for you also.  We have so much to be thankful for, and we don’t do it nearly enough.  And I think God misses that from His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment