Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ash Wednesday --- It's Personal



“The founder of no other religion is absolutely essential
for that religion in the same way that Christ is essential
for Christianity.  It is the personal relationship to Him
that is decisive.  When you come to Christ, Christianity
demands the personal, intimate bond.
- Archbishop Fulton Sheen

The Gospel for today (Mt 6:1-6; 16-18) talks about our heart, and its personal relationship to God.  “Be careful not to parade your good deeds … so when you give alms … be secret.  When you pray, go to your private room.  When you fast do not put on a gloomy look … so that no one will know you are fasting except your Father who sees all that is done in secret; and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.” 
The Gospel is saying that those good things you are doing because of where your heart is, you are doing for God; don’t involve others; keep it personal.  St. Augustine called it an “interior way of praying.”
The Better Part (Meditation 15) reflects on today’s Gospel so well, so I’ll stop with my own words here and just conclude with its:

Christ The Teacher
Following Christ … is the very center of everything.  Following Christ affects your relationships with other people, thus the reference to almsgiving.  It includes your direct relationship with God, thus the instructions on prayer; and it includes your relationship with yourself, your efforts to discipline yourself … thus, the comments on fasting … Relationship with God, with others, and with oneself: the threefold path of life – Christ invites us to travel this path as He did, by following in His footsteps and thereby achieving the purpose for which we were created.
Christ in My Life
You see all my motives and intentions, but I think sometimes I try to hide from them.  Show them to me, Lord; I don’t want anything to get in the way of our friendship.  I don’t want to fall into hypocrisy.  I want to do all things out of a humble, sincere love for You.  With the humility of Your heart, Lord, shape my heart.
At times life seems so complicated … but You simplify it.  Stay with me, Lord, walk with me; teach me how to love You, to love You, to love my neighbor, and to master my own selfish tendencies. … Teach me to be free to give myself to You and to my neighbors.  Show me how to make loving sacrifice as much a part of my life as it was a part of Yours.

This seems like a good place to start our Lenten meditations.  It reminds me of a hymn I very much like:  Change my heart, O God.

No comments:

Post a Comment