Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Living and Letting

There come times in our lives when we are uneasy, when we perceive God has some plan for us, and we become anxious:  What is it?  Myself, over the years I’ve often struck out at such times, I mean I felt compelled to move forward, but often, looking back I’ve seen I’ve struck out all right, as in strike three!  And I’ve realized that my anxiety had led me to do SOMETHING, when I should have waited for clearer direction, or just trusted, period.
It’s hard to trust in God, sometimes.
It’s one thing when we perceive God has some plan for us, and we try to understand.  I have become sensitive to the fact that sometimes I see my plans blocked --- I’ve even run into roadblocks on the highway! --- and I’ve learned to stop my plan and pray:  Lord, do You have some other plan for me this day?  And often by praying, and looking, I see better ways, better uses of my time.
It’s another thing, however, when we perceive that God has some plan for someone else; our paths have crossed and we are confident God has put this person in our life or a reason.  I ask this question of God for each person who crosses my path each day:  Why him; why now?  Is there something You wish me to do?  Is there something I should learn from this encounter?  Was I Your presence to him, Lord?
And He gives me answers, I am sure --- but sometimes I don’t understand.  And especially if I perceive He wishes me to help (to love in some way) that person, I sometimes don’t understand how.  And I fear I might fail Him.  For He trusts me, too.
In Father John Riccardo’s latest book (a great one) he gives the example of a large football stadium full of loud cheering fans.  They are not playing the gave on the field, but they hope to influence the players and the outcome of the game by their loud cheers.  Father John notes that we are the players on the field of life, and our departed loved ones and the saints are in the stands of heaven, cheering us on, praying for our victory.  That analogy gives me comfort.  Sometimes, however, it seems I didn’t hear the play He called, and after the snap a play seems to be happening, and I wonder what I should do.  Do I run with the ball, pass, or handoff?  What do I do, because I know I must do something, now!
I think one thing I often forget, in the crowd noise, in the expectations (and recommendations) of my teammates, and even with all my training:  I often forget that at any point, despite all the pressure, I can call a time out.  I can go back to the coach and ask Him to repeat the play called for me, to make sure I understand it, because I know it is important I get it right before I proceed.
Especially when I see someone I know God wishes me to love --- the poor person, the sick one, the despairing one --- which He has so clearly put in MY path, I want to run the play, to do SOMETHING to help.  To love them.  But sometimes when we seek clarity for what we should do, the answer is: nothing.  We need to let them (and us) go on living, as is.  Sometimes we need to let God do the major work, to carry the ball in His way.  It’s not all up to us.  We are not the only player in the game of our life, or theirs.  And sometimes we need to sit quietly and wait, and let someone else be the star of this play.
Humility is hard, which is why we must pray for it often, and then trust.  We live our life as best we can, with God’s help, and sometimes it means letting go of our worries.  That is what trust is all about.

2 comments:

  1. Tom:
    I was listening to the Catholic radio the other day, and heard a priest telling a story about when he was in college and in formation for the seminary many years ago. He was volunteering at a house Mother Teresa was opening in New York for AIDS patients. It would be the first of it's kind in the country (a LONG time ago I guess!).

    He said he was happy to help with all the non-people related stuff: painting, carrying, building shelves, putting things together, setting up the rooms, but was very reluctant to interact on the people side. When the house was ready, two men were admitted, and Mother Teresa told him (and he emphasized she TOLD people they were going to do something, not ask them), that he was going to be the overnight desk attendant. He was shocked. But he did it.

    When the men arrived, very sick, she told him he was to go upstairs and change one of the men's diapers. He said he thought, "Oh no. Not me." He, being very professional, asked her if he could speak with her in the hall privately. (:-)) He then told her he never even changed a baby's diaper in his life, and he had no idea how to do this for a sick grown man. She told him his guardian angel would help him, and a Sister would be nearby to show him what to do. End of conversation...

    He reluctantly went upstairs, and there was a very sick Haitian man, filthy, laying on a hospital bed. He said because of the fear of AIDS and of contracting it, the hospital where the man had been had not taken good care of him. So the task was to undress him, bathe him, put a new diaper and clean bedclothes on him. He said he was terrified he was going to hurt the man, who was very ill. But he began, and was able to do the task, and get him all cleaned up. As he was leaving, the man (I think he said his name was Andrew) asked him, "Will you stay with me and hold my hand until I fall asleep?" And so he sat down again and he said he held Andrew's hand in silence, until he fell asleep.

    And he said this act changed him inside forever.
    ******************************
    I have been going over to the Little Sister's of the Poor nursing home near my home (3 miles away) for the past year or so now.

    When the priest on the radio said he sat and held Andrew's hand, I thought of my own experience with the elderly I visit and meet at the home. In every instance I cannot help with what is wrong. I can't fix the dementia, or the effects of their stroke, or the COPD that causes them to gasp for breath, or the blindness or deafness or whatever else they have. But I can hold their hand. I can touch them, and look in their eyes, and with my eyes and my smile say, "I see you. I love you. I will not abandon you in this time of your need. I will not turn away from you because you cannot reciprocate and meet my needs. I will take you as you are, and love you as you are, because I know you are God's own child, and that is enough for me."

    I do very little materially for them. But that's not what they need anyway. What they need is me.

    You are so right. Sometimes all we are supposed to do is love them.

    God bless.
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your very wise words, Fran. We need to see them often. We need to love more, worry less. The world is a much better place because you are here, my friend.

    ReplyDelete