Tuesday, June 11, 2019

A Light in the World


Each Sunday morn I try to light a small candle at the foot of the statue of Mary.  First and foremost, I do it as a constant reminder to myself, and of thanksgiving to Mary in heaven, that it was Mary who never forgot me when my heart was so confused and alone.  In the eyes of the world I had achieved business, financial and social success, but I felt a failure.  Her call put me in the position where my heart could, in humility, accept the Holy Spirit, and I began my long faith journey with Him.  And I was never alone again.
That little candle is also for me, alone, to put my life in perspective today.  I may have started some great fires in my life, done great noticed and honored things, but I must never forget I DID NOT DO those things, I STARTED them, with a little flame.  Other people, other circumstances --- God! --- brought them about.  It was never just I, alone.  And so, each Sunday I light a little candle to remind myself, I am still that little fire in this world.  My age, my abilities and my circumstances make any major accomplishments unlikely ever again, but --- I am still a light in this world.  Even if God puts but on other little wick in my path, He and I can light another’s flame, and only He knows how far it will spread.
We all need to stop trying to light fires with our lives, let Him provide the fuel to continue our flame and determine its spread, the Holy Spirit and us, together fulfilling God’s plan for our lives.
My thoughts went here today as I read today’s Gospel (MT 5:13-16) on being the salt and light in the world.  This time the meditations in The Better Part (which I read daily) had Jesus Himself commenting on this Gospel passage:
Jesus:  My child, I know that you want your life to matter.  I created you with that desire, and I want to work with you to fulfill it.  Nothing you can do will truly matter if it is disconnected from my Kingdom, because only my Kingdom will last forever.  Even if you build magnificent buildings, climb to the top of the social ladder, or rule over thousands of people, what will you gain without linking your efforts and achievements to the most important mission of all, that of being salt and light for this dying and darkened world.  If you only help one other person to come into my kingdom, to enter into my friendship, it will be worth more than even the richest reward this world can offer you.  Come, follow me.  Be my ambassador.  Make all you do part of this privileged mission; let us work together, let me show you how meaningful life can really be.
                                    The Better Part, Meditation 12   (underlines are mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment